It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:09 am

[BUG] High Resource Usage and Non-functional skins

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Abanar

[BUG] High Resource Usage and Non-functional skins

Post by Abanar »

If I leave my computer on over night with the monitors turned off, when I come back the next morning, Rainmeter is using about 15-20% of the CPU and up to 2GB of RAM. Along with that, my skins keep flashing from the 50% transparency to 100% and become unresponsive to clicks or any type of system updates.

I can restart the system to return to normal, but closing Rainmeter and restarting the app does nothing, it requires a full system restart to return to a normal operating situation.

I was running the most updated standard release until yesterday when I updated to the most recent beta build thinking maybe that would help, but the same issue happened again last night as well. This has been happening for about a month now.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [BUG] High Resource Usage and Non-functional skins

Post by balala »

Abanar wrote: April 14th, 2023, 2:32 pm If I leave my computer on over night with the monitors turned off, when I come back the next morning, Rainmeter is using about 15-20% of the CPU and up to 2GB of RAM. Along with that, my skins keep flashing from the 50% transparency to 100% and become unresponsive to clicks or any type of system updates.

I can restart the system to return to normal, but closing Rainmeter and restarting the app does nothing, it requires a full system restart to return to a normal operating situation.

I was running the most updated standard release until yesterday when I updated to the most recent beta build thinking maybe that would help, but the same issue happened again last night as well. This has been happening for about a month now.
I assume this could be caused by some skins you are using. To make sure this is the case, for first try closing Rainmeter and relaunch it in Safe Start mode. For this hold down the Ctrl and the Alt keys when you click the Rainmeter icon. You get a Rainmeter Safe Start dialog, which asks you if you want to start Rainmeter Safe Start. Click Yes. Only the default illustro skins will be activated. They are not causing problems unless you've (heavilly) altered them, so let them running and try again to see if the issue persists with these skins. Does it?
Abanar

Post by Abanar »

I will give that a try tonight.

My issue with your idea is that I have the exact same skins running on another computer that is also not turned off at night and I do not have the same issue there. That makes me think that it is something in the way that the system is interacting with Rainmeter as a whole, but the two systems are identical except that this week I added a new 2nd video card to the computer that is not having an issue.

I will repost in the morning if using safe mod for Rainmeter fixes things, otherwise assume it did not.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Abanar wrote: April 14th, 2023, 2:32 pm If I leave my computer on over night with the monitors turned off, when I come back the next morning, Rainmeter is using about 15-20% of the CPU and up to 2GB of RAM. Along with that, my skins keep flashing from the 50% transparency to 100% and become unresponsive to clicks or any type of system updates.

Unfortunately I can't try to replicate this like I did for another potentially related thread since I have a laptop and not a central unit + monitor setup, but what you could try to narrow down the issue is:
- try to do this with only Rainmeter and no skins loaded and see if the resource usage after it is similar
- try to do it with only the default Illustro skin loaded (aka Rainmeter's Safe Start) and / or change the status of the Debug Mode & Log To File
- make sure you don't have any other resident / loaded dependency of a Rainmeter skin active in the background when you close Rainmeter
Another possibility is to take a look at a similar problem here, maybe it fits your case.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Abanar wrote: April 14th, 2023, 3:10 pm I will give that a try tonight.

My issue with your idea is that I have the exact same skins running on another computer that is also not turned off at night and I do not have the same issue there. That makes me think that it is something in the way that the system is interacting with Rainmeter as a whole, but the two systems are identical except that this week I added a new 2nd video card to the computer that is not having an issue.

I will repost in the morning if using safe mod for Rainmeter fixes things, otherwise assume it did not.
Just try it out please, then we'll see how to continue. You might have some other skin (maybe even one which has no visible elements) on the computer having the issue. In any case, what I wrote was just an idea, so let's see the result first...
Abanar

Post by Abanar »

I am sorry, I wasn't trying to come across as a jerk or anything. I should reread before posting because I sounded really rude in that reply.

I will try your idea and post if it changes anything.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Abanar wrote: April 14th, 2023, 3:39 pm I am sorry, I wasn't trying to come across as a jerk or anything. I should reread before posting because I sounded really rude in that reply.
Don't worry, you didn't come across as a jerk and it didn't sound rude, it's alright.
Abanar wrote: April 14th, 2023, 3:39 pm I will try your idea and post if it changes anything.
Ok, I'm curious about the result, so post it when you have it.
Abanar

Post by Abanar »

I apologize for the delay in replying, I was away from my computers all weekend.

Ran Rainmeter in Safe Mode yesterday and left it on last night. Turned on my monitors today and I am still getting the same issues (without the transparency effect since I did not mess with that on any of the basic skins).
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Abanar wrote: April 18th, 2023, 12:40 pmRan Rainmeter in Safe Mode yesterday and left it on last night. Turned on my monitors today and I am still getting the same issues (without the transparency effect since I did not mess with that on any of the basic skins).
If you have another identical computer (bar the new video card) running the same identical skins which is not experiencing this problem, then maybe it's something related to the system configuration and / or installed software components. I would check various drivers (video card especially), C++ redistributables, .NET frameworks, etc. assuming of course that you're running the same Rainmeter version on both the well behaving and bad behaving computers.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Abanar wrote: April 18th, 2023, 12:40 pm Ran Rainmeter in Safe Mode yesterday and left it on last night. Turned on my monitors today and I am still getting the same issues (without the transparency effect since I did not mess with that on any of the basic skins).
To be honest no idea what is going on there. If you get the same issue in Safe mode, running only the illustro skins, it's clear not one of your existing skins is the culprit. I probably would be tempted to deactivate all skins and let Rainmeter running just so to see if get the same issue over night. You also can follow what Yincognito recommended in his reply above. But me personally am practically out of ideas. Sorry can't help you further, but as said, I have no more ideas.
Sorry...