It is currently April 19th, 2024, 7:15 pm

[Bug] Rainmeter sometimes crashes when loading after PC locked

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Cariboudjan

[Bug] Rainmeter sometimes crashes when loading after PC locked

Post by Cariboudjan »

Multiple reports that Rainmeter will crash if Rainmeter is open while the PC is locked for an extended period of time.
Last edited by Cariboudjan on April 3rd, 2023, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Bug] Rainmeter sometimes crashes when loading after PC locked

Post by Yincognito »

Cariboudjan wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 11:10 pm Multiple reports that, even with only illustro active, Rainmeter will crash if Rainmeter is open while the PC is locked for an extended period of time.
In case it helps, I have my Win 10 laptop set from the Power Options to go into Sleep (normal, not Hybrid one or Hybernation, Wake Timers enabled, PCI Express Link State Power Management off) after 3 hours, with the display turning off after 10 minutes, the hard disk after 20 minutes, USB Selective Suspend enabled, the wireless internet connection disconnecting too after a while, and never had a problem with that in Rainmeter, irrespective of the duration after which it comes back on (in fact, even last night I slept while my laptop was "sleeping" too instead of shutting it down and today it went into sleep again for some time, and it came back on without any issue).

As far as I know, in sleep mode, the laptop basically turns off with data still in RAM, so when it wakes up, one can start using it from where he left, while if one locks his PC, it is still switched on with all applications running, thus he cannot access them without unlocking. Hopefully I'll remember to lock it tonight and test it with Rainmeter and Illustro to see if I can replicate the behavior / crash. I don't have high hopes on that though, my system usually needs some serious effort to misbehave. :D
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Ok, the test is over, I could not replicate the problem. I let the same settings as described above, and locked my laptop using Windows Key + L at 07:30 local time. I unlocked it at 17:15 local time, after almost 10 hours of being locked, without any issues whatsoever. I had Rainmeter and all the skins from Illustro loaded the entire time (the 2 disks variant for the drives skin). After unlocking and testing to see if it works, I restored my personal layout for Rainmeter, again without issues. Hope that helps.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Yep, same here. One the reporters of this was using my Gadgets suite, so I was particularly interested in testing this too. Been running continuously for several days now, locking and unlocking, and no issues so far.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

And same here as well, even if I didn't let my computer locked as same long as Yincognito and SilverAzide did. But as long as I did (few hours) were no such issues.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:55 pm Yep, same here. One the reporters of this was using my Gadgets suite, so I was particularly interested in testing this too. Been running continuously for several days now, locking and unlocking, and no issues so far.
It's probably either a matter of problematic system configuration for the user (ranging from OS version, to drivers, to AV, to disk tools, to other tools or dependencies, and so on) or some legit configurations that make Rainmeter react badly (in which case it's a bug, though difficult to reproduce if one doesn't know every little detail about such configurations).

Don't know if it matters, but my OS / games are on an internal SSD (Crucial, 500 GB), while other storage is on a classic SATA internal HDD (Seagate, 1 TB). I have external HDDs that can be connected via USB as well, but I didn't use them for the test since I only use them once in a while.