It is currently April 26th, 2024, 2:04 pm

Gadgets 7.6.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
y0himba

Re: Gadgets 7.4.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by y0himba »

I have a question: I'm not very Rainmeter saavy, and I am old, but I can follow directions.

Using Modern Gadgets, I was able to set the text color and make them transparent to have the app appear more like text on my desktop (see below), by following instructions on where and what to edit.

I was hoping to be able to do the same for these gadgets, then switch over to them from Modern Gadgets, which I love immensely.

Will this (see below) or something close to it be possible? My desktop is just the color black.
y0himba-EDocumentsRainmeterSkinsM-16.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---
Once up a time there was a now playing signature here. Now it is no more. Maybe someone can make a now playing sig gen for Last.fm? :thumbup:
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

y0himba wrote: October 16th, 2022, 4:42 pm I have a question: I'm not very Rainmeter saavy, and I am old, but I can follow directions.

Using Modern Gadgets, I was able to set the text color and make them transparent to have the app appear more like text on my desktop (see below), by following instructions on where and what to edit.

I was hoping to be able to do the same for these gadgets, then switch over to them from Modern Gadgets, which I love immensely.

Will this (see below) or something close to it be possible? My desktop is just the color black.
y0himba-EDocumentsRainmeterSkinsM-16.png
Sure, you can do this. Click the wrench icon in the upper-right corner of the skin to open the Settings (all skins use this similar style). Then change the Opacity value to 1 (using 1 instead of 0 will allow the skin to be easier to click on when needed). The Modernizer patch will make all the skin backgrounds black so you might not need to do this, but I assume you know this already. Once you've done that, you can change the colors to whatever you like; since you are using a monochrome scheme, it is easier to just copy and paste colors into the textboxes once you have selected the color you want.

However, please note that the ModernGadgets style has all UI text as one color and the bars/graphs as the variable colors. The old-style Gadgets don't do this, so you won't be able to get everything looking the same without quite a bit of additional work.

EDIT: If you want to try it, let me know. I think you can do it with a global search-and-replace using Notepad++ and regular expressions. I can tell you how if you want.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
emp00

Post by emp00 »

SilverAzide wrote: October 16th, 2022, 3:56 pm I just meant being able to hide the read/write stats (the lines you struck out in your markup). The only possibilities that exist now are what you see in the Settings. Not sure where I'm gonna be able to put the option, tho; the CPU and Drives Meter Settings skins are already taller than a standard 1080 screen. :(
Got it ... Half of the screen height is occupied by the color selections though. You could either put all color options in a sub-menu or you could "simply" add another column, thus increase menu width by factor 2 ... Whatever you prefer :-)

Here's another proposal "how to reduce the color-flash" - only colorize the drive letter and arrow, the rest of the text should be colorized with the standard "text color". that's enough color for the user to identify the drive in the graph below. I'd really like that - it's already much closer to raigard's optics. Maybe other other user's can chime in? Am I the only one with a "Gadgets-color-flash"? ;-)
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

emp00 wrote: October 16th, 2022, 5:16 pm Got it ... Half of the screen height is occupied by the color selections though. You could either put all color options in a sub-menu or you could "simply" add another column, thus increase menu width by factor 2 ... Whatever you prefer :-)

Here's another proposal "how to reduce the color-flash" - only colorize the drive letter and arrow, the rest of the text should be colorized with the standard "text color". that's enough color for the user to identify the drive in the graph below. I'd really like that - it's already much closer to raigard's optics. Maybe other other user's can chime in? Am I the only one with a "Gadgets-color-flash"? ;-)
The drive letter and label are a single meter, so I can't split them as in your markup. But I can tell you how to achieve something like this, which is pretty close:
Screenshot 2022-10-16 134135.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emp00

Post by emp00 »

SilverAzide wrote: October 16th, 2022, 5:44 pm The drive letter and label are a single meter, so I can't split them as in your markup. But I can tell you how to achieve something like this, which is pretty close:
Screenshot 2022-10-16 134135.png
Cool, that looks much better already. I would use my more subtle grey instead of the white color for the up/download speed. If you could give me a hint which lines in the code I need to edit -> I'd be happy to try that out!!
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

emp00 wrote: October 16th, 2022, 7:03 pm Cool, that looks much better already. I would use my more subtle grey instead of the white color for the up/download speed. If you could give me a hint which lines in the code I need to edit -> I'd be happy to try that out!!
Sure... You'll need to use Notepad++ for this, to save yourself a lot of effort.

The screenshot I posted used the "title color" for the read/write stats (which I just left at white), and I changed the "text color" from light blue to off-white. I will assume that you want the read/write stats to be some different value that isn't either of those, so these instructions will use "drive 26 color", which I assume will never be used in your setup.

1. Open the file DrivesText.inc with Notepad++. (This file is in the Drives Meter folder)
2. Press <Ctrl-H> to open the Replace dialog.
3. Enter the following text in the File textbox: FontColor=\[#.*\]
4. Enter the following text in the Replace textbox: FontColor=#PaletteColor26#
5. Uncheck the "Wrap around" option. Make sure the Search Mode is set to "Regular expression".
6. Here is the tricky bit: When replacing, do NOT replace the text on the [DriveLabelN] measures. So, press the Find Next button. This will jump to the first text match, which is the one you DON'T want to replace. There will be a pattern you can follow for each of the 26 drive sections in the code: "next, replace, replace, replace"... "next, replace, replace, replace"... etc. Do this until you get to the end.
7. Save the file and refresh the skin.
8. Open the Settings and change the "title color", "text color" and "drive 26 color" to whatever you like.

That's it! :)
emp00

Post by emp00 »

SilverAzide wrote: October 16th, 2022, 9:23 pm That's it! :)
Many, many thanks SilverAzide! Worked perfectly as described. As proof see screnshot below - this is already much better from color-perspective in my eyes (even though "too much information" still remains, but that's OK for now). See also my solution for stacking CPU meter and Top Process Meter in order to save pixel height on the screen. Now I kicked "raimeters" gadgets and using Gadgets 7.4.0 now!

In case of any future Gadgets updates - I need to do the search&replace exercise again, correct? Generally the wokflow is: Update Gadgets, then update + apply Modernizer and last-but-not-least search&replace as per above instructions, right? Will take notes so that I don't forget...

SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

emp00 wrote: October 17th, 2022, 7:44 pm Many, many thanks SilverAzide! Worked perfectly as described. As proof see screnshot below - this is already much better from color-perspective in my eyes (even though "too much information" still remains, but that's OK for now). See also my solution for stacking CPU meter and Top Process Meter in order to save pixel height on the screen. Now I kicked "raimeters" gadgets and using Gadgets 7.4.0 now!

In case of any future Gadgets updates - I need to do the search&replace exercise again, correct? Generally the wokflow is: Update Gadgets, then update + apply Modernizer and last-but-not-least search&replace as per above instructions, right? Will take notes so that I don't forget...
Hey, your CPU Meter tweak looks pretty sharp! Nice job! :thumbup:

For your workflow question, you are correct. The Gadgets update process will undo most of the Modernizer changes, so you'll need to update that also and re-apply. Your colors and other settings will be preserved.
y0himba

Post by y0himba »

emp00 wrote: October 17th, 2022, 7:44 pm update + apply Modernizer

A: I want mine to look like this |and| 2: What is this 'Modernizer' you speak of?
---
Once up a time there was a now playing signature here. Now it is no more. Maybe someone can make a now playing sig gen for Last.fm? :thumbup:
y0himba

Post by y0himba »

Where can I edit to change the title of the gadgets? I'd like to remove the word meter, for instance, CPU Meter would just be "CPU".
I'd also like to remove or change the icon beside the CPU Meter as well. Same for the other gadgets.
---