It is currently October 22nd, 2024, 6:43 pm

Synth's Simple N Clean Battery Level Indicator

Skins that monitor system information
DissonantSynth

Synth's Simple N Clean Battery Level Indicator

Post by DissonantSynth »

This is my first skin and it took me around 5 hours.

Special thanks to the team that compiled the documentation on how to create skins. No YouTube videos were even necessary!

My code is likely not written in the optimal way, but is neat and works. Something that was important for me to achieve with this skin was the ability to easily scale it using one variable without affecting the relative proportions and positions of the elements.

Inspired by the appearance of the "HDDFlasher_3" skin by "Ragingwasabi (ChivChong Productions)".

Features:
  • Simple and uncluttered design adhering to the Windows 10 look
  • Easily customisable with four variables for scale, background colour, font and font colour
  • Battery percentage as text and as a bar
  • Coloured dot to indicate the charging status

Tags:
battery life, battery level, power level, charging, plugged in
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jaseow

Re: Synth's Simple N Clean Battery Level Indicator

Post by jaseow »

Hi, I was wondering would there be a way to track the battery level of Bluetooth device instead?

Would be handy for desktop users who have bluetooth keyboards/ mice
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jaseow wrote: Today, 6:17 am Hi, I was wondering would there be a way to track the battery level of Bluetooth device instead?

Would be handy for desktop users who have bluetooth keyboards/ mice
I somehow doubt that, the typical battery than can be investigated is the "system" one. Unless that Bluetooth device has a way to "share" that info with other programs (e.g. via its settings, a log file, etc).
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jaseow

Post by jaseow »

jaseow wrote: Today, 6:17 am Unless that Bluetooth device has a way to "share" that info with other programs (e.g. via its settings, a log file, etc).
There is definitely a way to read that info. It is baked into windows even. Under bluetooth settings you can easily see the battery % left and currently I use a program called "Bluetooth battery level" from the microsoft store to get it to show a battery icon in my taskbar that shows the battery % when I mouseover it.

Would just be easier to have this info as a visual widget rather than having to mouseover my taskbar. The current app already took 1 step away of having to go into bluetooth settings or clicking on bluetooth icon in taskbar, but a widget would be even better
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jaseow wrote: Today, 10:29 am There is definitely a way to read that info. It is baked into windows even. Under bluetooth settings you can easily see the battery % left and currently I use a program called "Bluetooth battery level" from the microsoft store to get it to show a battery icon in my taskbar that shows the battery % when I mouseover it.

Would just be easier to have this info as a visual widget rather than having to mouseover my taskbar. The current app already took 1 step away of having to go into bluetooth settings or clicking on bluetooth icon in taskbar, but a widget would be even better
I meant a way to pass that info to something Rainmeter can read (preferably something shared via memory, or as a file on disk). Windows or other programs are indeed able to read this if they have been specially built for that (like Bluetooth Battery Level), what's needed is a way to pass that info further, to programs that might not have been built to get such info from a ton of different devices (like Rainmeter). Then, it would be trivial to display that in a skin.
jaseow

Post by jaseow »

Yincognito wrote: Today, 11:26 am a way to pass that info to something Rainmeter can read (preferably something shared via memory, or as a file on disk)
Ahh ok, got ya. That's way past my skill set
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jaseow wrote: Today, 1:24 pm Ahh ok, got ya. That's way past my skill set
Yeah, no worries, I didn't say you'd have to do it yourself. But if you find a way to share the data in the app you use or in any other related app on, say, GitHub (e.g. via its command line, a PowerShell script, that kind of things), then 99% of the problem would be solved. Unfortunately, these kind of apps are rare, and having an app that bothers to share the info it collects to other apps is unlikely for closed source products.