It is currently October 16th, 2024, 10:23 am

New Dark Mode toggle

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: New Dark Mode toggle

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: October 6th, 2024, 4:53 pm Another detail: either after clicking once, or after clicking twice on tbe Dark/Light mode link, right click on the tab from the tab bar and duplicate it. The mode will switch (it's a bit complicated to determine based on what)... but the link will work again, albeit still with the incorrect text displayed. The link working again is a nice consequence, but the switch and the text staying the same might not be that much.
If you click the Dark / Light mode you get the new mode. From now you can't switch back until you click to another page as jsmorely said or until you refresh the current page. Both are working, but you can't switch back the other mode until you refresh or go to another page. At least this is the case in Edge.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: October 6th, 2024, 5:52 pm If you click the Dark / Light mode you get the new mode. From now you can't switch back until you click to another page as jsmorely said or until you refresh the current page. Both are working, but you can't switch back the other mode until you refresh or go to another page. At least this is the case in Edge.
Yes, I know that. I only added that if you clicked at least once to change the mode and then duplicate the tab, the mode will switch back automatically on duplicating, and you'll be able to do one more manual change of the mode (even though the text and the icon of the button won't change). Call it a weird alternative to refreshing the current page or clicking to another one, but without data loss if by any chance you were writing a post or reply at that time.

Basically, assuming you already clicked once to change the mode, you could duplicate the tab indefinitely each time you want to change the mode again (but not the text or the icon, which will stay the same until refreshing or clicking to another page, as already mentioned).

EDIT: For now, on the Chrome from my laptop, I can use the chrome://flags method mentioned here to turn dark mode on for any visited site (including the Rainmeter manual, for example), not just the forum. I just needed to set the "Auto Dark Mode for Web Contents" to "Enabled Width Selective Inversion Of Non-Image Elements" for better results.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Yincognito wrote: October 6th, 2024, 6:12 pm EDIT: For now, on the Chrome from my laptop, I can use the chrome://flags method mentioned here to turn dark mode on for any visited site (including the Rainmeter manual, for example), not just the forum. I just needed to set the "Auto Dark Mode for Web Contents" to "Enabled Width Selective Inversion Of Non-Image Elements" for better results.
I tried that yesterday but it doesn't have that option on the phone. So this dark mode is perfect for me :) on pc chrome there are also extensions that do the same, but yeah, the flags option is great so you don't have to give permissions to any third party.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

RicardoTM wrote: October 6th, 2024, 6:40 pm I tried that yesterday but it doesn't have that option on the phone. So this dark mode is perfect for me :) on pc chrome there are also extensions that do the same, but yeah, the flags option is great so you don't have to give permissions to any third party.
Indeed. The dark mode of this phpBB extension also looks a little better too! :thumbup:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: October 6th, 2024, 6:12 pm Yes, I know that. I only added that if you clicked at least once to change the mode and then duplicate the tab, the mode will switch back automatically on duplicating, and you'll be able to do one more manual change of the mode (even though the text and the icon of the button won't change). Call it a weird alternative to refreshing the current page or clicking to another one, but without data loss if by any chance you were writing a post or reply at that time.

Basically, assuming you already clicked once to change the mode, you could duplicate the tab indefinitely each time you want to change the mode again (but not the text or the icon, which will stay the same until refreshing or clicking to another page, as already mentioned).

EDIT: For now, on the Chrome from my laptop, I can use the chrome://flags method mentioned here to turn dark mode on for any visited site (including the Rainmeter manual, for example), not just the forum. I just needed to set the "Auto Dark Mode for Web Contents" to "Enabled Width Selective Inversion Of Non-Image Elements" for better results.
Most probably most of these issues will be fixed on the upcoming period by the devs. My guess at least. So let's left them working...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: October 6th, 2024, 7:24 pm Most probably most of these issues will be fixed on the upcoming period by the devs. My guess at least. So let's left them working...
If you say so...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: October 6th, 2024, 7:54 pm If you say so...
I hope. I'm positive they will...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Well you guys might want to report this issue to the developer of the extension at:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/darkmode/

It's something they would have to change, not something we can.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: October 6th, 2024, 8:32 pm Well you guys might want to report this issue to the developer of the extension at:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/darkmode/

It's something they would have to change, not something we can.
Precisely my point. I might take some time to do that, in case no one else does - and we're talking about 2 related issues: the inability to do more than one change of mode per page loading session, and the mode switching back automatically on duplicating the tab - both happening after clicking at least once on the extension button (whose icon and text don't change afterwards).

That being said, the extension is from 2020 and the last update from 2022, so we'll see if reporting leads to solving the issue(s). I imagine the issue exists for other cases, I'm baffled nobody has reported it yet.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: October 6th, 2024, 8:32 pm Well you guys might want to report this issue to the developer of the extension
Yincognito wrote: October 7th, 2024, 8:15 am I might take some time to do that, in case no one else does
Hey, jsmorley, I have a curious problem when I try to register on their site (so I can post a support topic here): the form asks me to "sort" some software components required for the phpBB installation in the "correct" order... except that I have no idea what that order is:
phpBB Registration.jpg
I think I'll let someone with phpBB knowledge to report these issues, cause I don't know what order this form is expecting from me (now THAT's a good captcha, lol) - the report contents should simply be what's between : and . in my previous post and posssbly mentioning forum.rainmeter.net for potential testing purposes, nothing out of the ordinary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.