It is currently October 16th, 2024, 10:36 am

New Dark Mode toggle

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
jsmorley
Developer

New Dark Mode toggle

Post by jsmorley »

Thanks to a suggestion by user RicardoTM We have added an extension to phpBB to enable a user-based toggle between the default "light" mode and a new "dark" mode.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rooky_89

Re: New Dark Mode toggle

Post by Rooky_89 »

That's awesome news. Thanks. Looks pretty good :rosegift: :rosegift: :rosegift: :rosegift:
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Thanks JS. Looks pretty good :D it even dims images so they're not that bright which is awesome.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Looks nice, it even lightens up a bit the images when you hover on them, which is a subtle but great effect. However, when trying it on my laptop, I discovered that you need to refresh the page for the "Dark mode" / "Light mode" text and its icon to be updated. Not sure if that's supposed to happen or not.

EDIT: Basically, what SilverAzide said below.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

jsmorley wrote: October 6th, 2024, 2:03 pm Thanks to a suggestion by user RicardoTM We have added an extension to phpBB to enable a user-based toggle between the default "light" mode and a new "dark" mode.
If you are interested in some feedback, on my desktop running Chrome, the toggle button itself doesn't toggle. In other words, if I select dark mode, the button continues to read "Dark mode" and clicking it does nothing. I have to close the browser tab and reopen it to see the "Light mode" button.

Edit: D'oh! Ninja'd by Yincognito!
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: October 6th, 2024, 2:59 pmEdit: D'oh! Ninja'd by Yincognito!
Well, we both edited our posts, so now the ninjas are running wild... :lol:
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

SilverAzide wrote: October 6th, 2024, 2:59 pm If you are interested in some feedback, on my desktop running Chrome, the toggle button itself doesn't toggle. In other words, if I select dark mode, the button continues to read "Dark mode" and clicking it does nothing. I have to close the browser tab and reopen it to see the "Light mode" button.

Edit: D'oh! Ninja'd by Yincognito!
Weird, it works fine on mine (chrome as well). It also works fine on my phone, both safari and chrome. Do you have any Dark Mode extension installed?

Edit.

Nvm I see what you mean, it toggles once, from light mode to dark mode, but if you want to toggle it back to light mode you have to refresh the site. Yup confirmed
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You don't need to refresh the site really, just go to any other page. Basically click on any link that changes pages. The .html of the page(s) is "static" unless you take some action. For instance, the clock at the top of the page doesn't change unless you refresh or change pages. The Dark/Light mode link itself won't do it, as it doesn't change either. The extension should probably do a "refresh" itself when it toggles, but it doesn't...
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

jsmorley wrote: October 6th, 2024, 3:08 pm You don't need to refresh the site really, just go to any other page. Basically click on any link that changes pages. The .html of the page(s) is "static" unless you take some action. For instance, the clock at the top of the page doesn't change unless you refresh or change pages. The Dark/Light mode link itself won't do it, as it is self-referencing. The extension should probably do a "refresh" itself when it toggles, but it doesn't...
To me it's not a problem, since I won't be switching back to light mode anyway lol and switching back and forward is not something one normally do unless your playing with it like a kid playing with the light switch.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

RicardoTM wrote: October 6th, 2024, 3:41 pm To me it's not a problem, since I won't be switching back to light mode anyway lol and switching back and forward is not something one normally do unless your playing with it like a kid playing with the light switch.
Indeed, playing with it like that doesn't happen often. When it does though, if by any chance the one playing with it is also writing some post or reply at the same time, he should save his draft before reloading the page or any other action that updates the address of the page.
jsmorley wrote: October 6th, 2024, 3:08 pm You don't need to refresh the site really, just go to any other page. Basically click on any link that changes pages.
Another detail: either after clicking once, or after clicking twice on tbe Dark/Light mode link, right click on the tab from the tab bar and duplicate it. The mode will switch (it's a bit complicated to determine based on what)... but the link will work again, albeit still with the incorrect text displayed. The link working again is a nice consequence, but the switch and the text staying the same might not be that much.

From my part, I really like the feature just like everyone else, but yeah, its code does need a bit of adjustment, as some usage scenarios were probably missed by its developer(s). Might worth letting the author know about these things here, if interested... ;-)