It is currently October 18th, 2024, 6:14 am

Weather skin RegEx error.

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Weather skin RegEx error.

Post by eclectic-tech »

Yincognito wrote: May 17th, 2024, 10:06 pm I personally would advise against publishing all the details about that on a large scale, because of this, but as you wish. I mean, it's nice and everything, but it reveals our how-to (and not just our what-with) in a way that makes it trivial to stop it. An InputBox where you can enter the key should be more than enough for most users...
I do not see much difference in having an end user manually modify a variable value, use an input box to do the same, or click and have a skin write the key value in the background. The end result is the same, and simplifying the action for end user and skin publishers was my hope; I support more than 25 weather packages and didn't want to have to repackage the entire suite for a single variable change.

I don't think very many weather skin authors would take the time to add this; most don't maintain their packages when the source data changes, so adding this feature is even less likely.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Weather skin RegEx error.

Post by Yincognito »

eclectic-tech wrote: May 18th, 2024, 2:18 am I do not see much difference in having an end user manually modify a variable value, use an input box to do the same, or click and have a skin write the key value in the background. The end result is the same, and simplifying the action for end user and skin publishers was my hope; I support more than 25 weather packages and didn't want to have to repackage the entire suite for a single variable change.

I don't think very many weather skin authors would take the time to add this; most don't maintain their packages when the source data changes, so adding this feature is even less likely.
Yeah, I meant from the POV of weather.com: having skins showcasing how we get the key makes it very easy for them to stop our JSON usage; on the other hand, if the key is input by the user, they might not be aware how we get it, and periodically changing it would still keep our data retrieval working. Repackaging isn't needed for any of the 3 input methods above, if the method is already implemented, by the way.

You're probably right about the last thing, but then everything big starts small at some point. Anyway, what I said was just a long term thought, I'm not trying to tell people how to code their skins. I simply believe that some ways might ensure a longer availability of the data, that's all - that's why I didn't directly showcase the scraping in that post in the first place, besides having to poll the site twice. I could be wrong though, time will tell. :confused:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth