It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 7:47 pm

The problem with starting the program

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Smoru

The problem with starting the program

Post by Smoru »

Hello, I downloaded the installer of the program from the official website, installed the program itself. When the program starts, it appears for a moment and immediately turns off. I am using Windows 11 Pro. Everything used to be fine on Windows 10. I ran it with Windows 8 compatibility, with no results.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: The problem with starting the program

Post by balala »

Smoru wrote: April 19th, 2024, 8:01 pm Hello, I downloaded the installer of the program from the official website, installed the program itself. When the program starts, it appears for a moment and immediately turns off. I am using Windows 11 Pro. Everything used to be fine on Windows 10. I ran it with Windows 8 compatibility, with no results.
Check please the Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area, when Rainmeter "turns off". Is it there? If you can see it, try hovering the mouse over it. Is it disappearing?
If it does, try starting it in safe mode. To try this hold down Ctrl when you're starting it from Start menu. A dialog is opening asking you if you want to start Rainmeter in Safe mode. Obviously accept it. Is Rainmeter opening normally this way and do you get a few illustro skins opening?
Smoru

Post by Smoru »

balala wrote: April 19th, 2024, 8:15 pm Check please the Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area, when Rainmeter "turns off". Is it there? If you can see it, try hovering the mouse over it. Is it disappearing?
If it does, try starting it in safe mode. To try this hold down Ctrl when you're starting it from Start menu. A dialog is opening asking you if you want to start Rainmeter in Safe mode. Obviously accept it. Is Rainmeter opening normally this way and do you get a few illustro skins opening?
1. Yes, when rainmeter turns off, there is an icon in the notification area. 2. When you hover over it, it does not disappear, and even a window opens, but then it turns off like the whole program. 3. When you try to start in safe mode, the suggestion window also disappears. If I manage to click that, the windows appear and disappear as well
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Smoru wrote: April 20th, 2024, 5:55 am 1. Yes, when rainmeter turns off, there is an icon in the notification area. 2. When you hover over it, it does not disappear, and even a window opens, but then it turns off like the whole program.
Which is the window opening when you're hovering the mouse over the Rainmeter icon? Is it the Manage Rainmeter dialog? And when does it close? Just like so? Also, by "turns off" do you mean it closes? Sorry, but so far it's not quite clear to me what is going on there.
Smoru wrote: April 20th, 2024, 5:55 am 3. When you try to start in safe mode, the suggestion window also disappears. If I manage to click that, the windows appear and disappear as well
Same questions as above, with one more: if you're talking about the Manage Rainmeter window which si opening then closing, how long stays it opened? When does it close? Do you do something when it closes, or it closes just like so?
Smoru

Post by Smoru »

[/img]
balala wrote: April 20th, 2024, 6:15 am Which is the window opening when you're hovering the mouse over the Rainmeter icon? Is it the Manage Rainmeter dialog? And when does it close? Just like so? Also, by "turns off" do you mean it closes? Sorry, but so far it's not quite clear to me what is going on there.

Same questions as above, with one more: if you're talking about the Manage Rainmeter window which si opening then closing, how long stays it opened? When does it close? Do you do something when it closes, or it closes just like so?
that's how it will be clearer, probably
I'll upload a video soon
Smoru

Post by Smoru »

Smoru wrote: April 20th, 2024, 8:13 am [/img]

that's how it will be clearer, probably
I'll upload a video soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRSp49yXUuA
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Your issue appears to fall into the first situation.

1.) If Rainmeter closes without a Windows Error message, take these steps:
What to do if Rainmeter is crashing

2.) If you see an actual Windows Error message, you should follow these steps:
How to report a Rainmeter crash
Smoru

Post by Smoru »

eclectic-tech wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:30 pm Your issue appears to fall into the first situation.

1.) If Rainmeter closes without a Windows Error message, take these steps:
What to do if Rainmeter is crashing

2.) If you see an actual Windows Error message, you should follow these steps:
How to report a Rainmeter crash
I did everything that was written there, it didn't help. I have no idea what the problem is :confused:
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Hey, we've had people on Discord with this exact same issue, Rainmeter opening (showing the skins) and closing after a seconds, reinstalling did nothing and there were no errors in the Event Viewer.

Can you provide a bit more info?

I know Rainmeter is programmed to close itself when loading dlls that don't exist (like winlanapi.dll which is loaded by the default Illustro skin), are you on Windows Server?

Do you have a NVIDIA Graphics Card? I think NvCameraAllowlisting64.dll and whatever G-Sync usues usually tries to inject itself into Rainmeter and crashes, all dlls that get injected into the main Rainmeter process make it crash/close

Have you also looked in the Event Viewer close enough? One of the users who reported this mysterious problem had a single log with a report, after that, Rainmeter started to experience the same thing as you, it stopped reporting logs and the only log

Code: Select all

Faulting application name: Rainmeter.exe, version: 4.5.21.3750, time stamp: 0x65e24711
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.3996, time stamp: 0x39215800
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000ff349
which means STATUS_HEAP_CORRUPTION which means some system files are corrupted, can you run System File Checker and DSIM to see if it fixes anything?

The only pattern I managed to notice was that (in order) the persons who reported were Russian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian and Lithuanian, it's probably not the cause for this crash but I find it funny it's only people with crylic keyboards.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Jeff wrote: April 20th, 2024, 7:22 pm The only pattern I managed to notice was that (in order) the persons who reported were Russian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian and Lithuanian, it's probably not the cause for this crash but I find it funny it's only people with crylic keyboards.
Lithuanian language doesn't use Cyrillic alphabet. Russian, Bulgarian and Ukrainian do, but Lithuanian doesn't.