It is currently April 18th, 2024, 4:45 pm

Gadgets 7.6.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
wrapperNo1

Re: Gadgets 7.1.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by wrapperNo1 »

Hi,

First of all, I'd like to thank you so much SilverAzide for the best replacement out there for AddGadgets! I have a desktop full of them :oops:

I got a little issue though, in Drives Meter settings, nothing I click works. I need to hide Drive G, but every time I click on anything, nothing changes, and the graphic simply resets. I tried playing around with the config file, but any change I tried either broke the graphic, or had no effect.

What can I do to solve this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

kurokin wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 3:01 pm Loving the skin, was wondering if it would be possible to add drive temperature to the Drives meter, like in the screenshot provided? Just to be able to keep an eye on these pesky NVME drive temps.
This would be a nice feature to have, but there are a number of issues. One is that there's not really any room to show the temperatures. Your markup is OK, but if you have even a slightly a long drive name, it wouldn't work without truncating the name. But the biggest problem is that the Drives Meter reports on logical drives, not physical drives. So if you have a RAID array or a storage pool, it doesn't really work. I'll think about it, but it is somewhat problematic. (If I ever decide to create a Drives Meter that reports by physical drive, I would add temps for sure.)
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

wrapperNo1 wrote: December 5th, 2021, 5:12 pm Hi,

First of all, I'd like to thank you so much SilverAzide for the best replacement out there for AddGadgets! I have a desktop full of them :oops:

I got a little issue though, in Drives Meter settings, nothing I click works. I need to hide Drive G, but every time I click on anything, nothing changes, and the graphic simply resets. I tried playing around with the config file, but any change I tried either broke the graphic, or had no effect.

What can I do to solve this?
I'm not sure why clicking would have no effect unless something is wrong with your installation, or you modified a skin or something. There is a Lua script that handles the checkboxes, so you might want to look to see if there are any errors in the Rainmeter log. Every Settings skin uses the same technique and logic, so if the Drives Meter Settings doesn't work, then none of them should. If none are working, I'd suggest re-installing the Gadgets from scratch (i.e., delete the Gadgets folder and re-install).

If you'd rather not use the nuclear option, then open the DrivesVariables.inc file and simply set the HideDiskG variable to 1. Refresh the skin and you should be good to go.
kurokin

Post by kurokin »

SilverAzide wrote: December 5th, 2021, 10:24 pm This would be a nice feature to have, but there are a number of issues. One is that there's not really any room to show the temperatures. Your markup is OK, but if you have even a slightly a long drive name, it wouldn't work without truncating the name. But the biggest problem is that the Drives Meter reports on logical drives, not physical drives. So if you have a RAID array or a storage pool, it doesn't really work. I'll think about it, but it is somewhat problematic. (If I ever decide to create a Drives Meter that reports by physical drive, I would add temps for sure.)
Just the fact that its kinda sorta a possibility way later on is still a win in my book. :D
wrapperNo1

Post by wrapperNo1 »

SilverAzide wrote: December 5th, 2021, 10:34 pm I'm not sure why clicking would have no effect unless something is wrong with your installation, or you modified a skin or something. There is a Lua script that handles the checkboxes, so you might want to look to see if there are any errors in the Rainmeter log. Every Settings skin uses the same technique and logic, so if the Drives Meter Settings doesn't work, then none of them should. If none are working, I'd suggest re-installing the Gadgets from scratch (i.e., delete the Gadgets folder and re-install).

If you'd rather not use the nuclear option, then open the DrivesVariables.inc file and simply set the HideDiskG variable to 1. Refresh the skin and you should be good to go.
Hey, thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, nothing else works, you are absolutely correct, although I haven't played with Drives Meter before, the only thing I've changed manually is the target of Double-Clicking the CPU meter to open the resource monitor instead of the task manager.

So, I've tried clicking one of the checkboxes, which did nothing, then checked the log and there was indeed an error:

Code: Select all

!WriteKeyValue: Failed to write to: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins\Gadgets\@Resources\DrivesVariables.inc (Gadgets\Drives Meter\Config\Settings.ini)
This looked like Rainmeter simply doesn't have permission to edit the file, which is rather weird. I closed Rainmeter altogether, restarted it as administrator, open the settings and unchecked the drive box, and voi la! I don't think this is how it's supposed to work, but this quick fix was the simplest :confused: :)
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

wrapperNo1 wrote: December 6th, 2021, 2:50 pm Hey, thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, nothing else works, you are absolutely correct, although I haven't played with Drives Meter before, the only thing I've changed manually is the target of Double-Clicking the CPU meter to open the resource monitor instead of the task manager.

So, I've tried clicking one of the checkboxes, which did nothing, then checked the log and there was indeed an error:

Code: Select all

!WriteKeyValue: Failed to write to: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins\Gadgets\@Resources\DrivesVariables.inc (Gadgets\Drives Meter\Config\Settings.ini)
This looked like Rainmeter simply doesn't have permission to edit the file, which is rather weird. I closed Rainmeter altogether, restarted it as administrator, open the settings and unchecked the drive box, and voi la! I don't think this is how it's supposed to work, but this quick fix was the simplest :confused: :)
'C:\Program Files\' is a Windows protected folder, that is why you can only access it if you run Rainmeter in Admin mode; which is not reccommended!

The 'Skins' folder should be set to a folder that a normal user has read/write permissions.
Normally it is your Documents folder: 'Documents\Rainmeter\Skins'.

If you did a 'Portable' installation of Rainmeter, I would recommend you do a new portable install, but in a folder which you have read/write permissions. Then copy all of your installed skins from the old 'C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins' folder to that new 'Skins' folder.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Ah yes, thanks! ET is right, you don't have permission to write to the "C:\Program Files" folder (back in the olden days of Windows XP and such, you could, but not anymore). Definitely do a normal install, or do a portable install to a new folder you can write to. This actually applies to any application, not just Rainmeter or the Gadgets suite.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

wrapperNo1

Post by wrapperNo1 »

Yeah, just by looking at the error, I figured what was happening, but the thing is guys, this is a standard installation, and I can't recall selecting where the skins folder would be, maybe I did that by mistake. Anyway, I relocated the file and modified its target location in Rainmeter settings, and everything works fine now :)

Thanks ET and SilverAzide

Now regarding the manual edit I had to make in the CPU Meter, it would be great if you can add the ability to toggle between the task manager and the performance monitor SilverAzide, this was actually a feature in the original AllCPUMeter :rosegift:
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

wrapperNo1 wrote: December 6th, 2021, 7:33 pm Now regarding the manual edit I had to make in the CPU Meter, it would be great if you can add the ability to toggle between the task manager and the performance monitor SilverAzide, this was actually a feature in the original AllCPUMeter :rosegift:
It was? Huh, I didn't know that, so thanks a lot for the info! But do you mean "Performance Monitor" or "Resource Monitor"? I get those two confused. But it wouldn't be difficult to add an option to toggle. The Top Process gadgets will pop up Resource Monitor, so that's what I use.