It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:57 am

Thread about Windows 11

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Thread about Windows 11

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: August 6th, 2021, 11:05 pm Yeah, I hear you. Oh, by the way, we are going to be forcing the [Rainmeter] section to the top of the .ini file, since that's where most folks have it.
Yeah, something like that. :rolmfao: I'll lead the [Variables] revolution then... :x
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I take it back. Looks like they do have a plan in place to allow 3rd-party apps to place themselves in the main context menu, it's just that there is a new approach for doing this with new "rules". Existing apps will need to change how they do things with Windows 11. I'm ok with that.

Although... It seems to me that this might be more under the control of the end-user. A way to just easily "pin to context menu" and "unpin from context menu" of some kind.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/microsoft-extending-the-context-menu-and-share-dialog-in-windows-11.637/
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: August 7th, 2021, 12:27 pm I take it back. Looks like they do have a plan in place to allow 3rd-party apps to place themselves in the main context menu, it's just that there is a new approach for doing this with new "rules". Existing apps will need to change how they do things with Windows 11. I'm ok with that.

Although... It seems to me that this might be more under the control of the end-user. A way to just easily "pin to context menu" and "unpin from context menu" of some kind.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/microsoft-extending-the-context-menu-and-share-dialog-in-windows-11.637/
Yeah, it might be too early to tell what will exactly be the procedure now. I'm prety sure though that those AV apps will find a way to place themselves in the main context menu and Windows has all the interest to allow that for those apps, and if those programs can, so will others. The documentation on how it can be done will probably be released later on. As of now, apart from that part you linked to, which is found basically unchanged on lots of other sites as well, here is the best "original" content I could find here, where it's more or less about the "shell verb" used by the app to "register" there... :???:

Well, a way to easily pin/unpin to/from context menu would be excellent, as it would make this a user-specific decision, but I doubt that would happen. You never know though...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: August 7th, 2021, 1:05 pm Yeah, it might be too early to tell what will exactly be the procedure now. I'm prety sure though that those AV apps will find a way to place themselves in the main context menu and Windows has all the interest to allow that for those apps, and if those programs can, so will others. The documentation on how it can be done will probably be released later on. As of now, apart from that part you linked to, which is found basically unchanged on lots of other sites as well, here is the best "original" content I could find here, where it's more or less about the "shell verb" used by the app to "register" there... :???:

Well, a way to easily pin/unpin to/from context menu would be excellent, as it would make this a user-specific decision, but I doubt that would happen. You never know though...
Yeah, my fear is that once it is known how to do it, we will end up with the mess that the context menus are today in Windows 10. You can remove stuff from them, and there are some little "utilities" that can help you, but at the end of the day it's a registry hack, and not something particularly easy or intuitive. I'd love to see a right-click "Remove this shit from the context menu" ability. Likely the next time you upgrade the app it would put it right back though..
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: August 7th, 2021, 1:08 pm Yeah, my fear is that once it is known how to do it, we will end up with the mess that the context menus are today in Windows 10. You can remove stuff from them, and there are some little "utilities" that can help you, but at the end of the day it's a registry hack, and not something particularly easy or intuitive. I'd love to see a right-click "Remove this shit from the context menu" ability. Likely the next time you upgrade the app it would put it right back though..
In an ideal world, any app should have a checkbox to allow the user to add it to the context menu or not (some of them do, but not all), and Windows should act based on those "permissions". Or, make it entirely controlled by the user on Windows, the way Pin To Start or Pin To Taskbar are - of course, you'll depend on Windows keeping this feature in future versions, but it's a reasonable option.

Love them or hate them, Google surely know how to make things simple, yet functionally comprehensive:
Chrome.jpg
For example, Bookmarks could have an "Applications" equivalent in the Windows context menu, where an application would be the equivalent of a "bookmark folder" and the actions you can do with that app on the file or whatever would be the "items" in that bookmark folder. A single main menu item for all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Right. In my view, it should really be the responsibility of the app to control this stuff in some "settings" dialog for the app. Just forcing stuff on the context menu, requiring us to hack the registry to get rid of them, is bad business...

I did go do a little cleanup just now, using shmnview-x64

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shell_menu_view.html

Removed a ton of crap like WinAmp and VLC and MediaInfo and all that.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: August 7th, 2021, 1:48 pm Right. In my view, it should really be the responsibility of the app to control this stuff in some "settings" dialog for the app. Just forcing stuff on the context menu, requiring us to hack the registry to get rid of them, is bad business...

I did go do a little cleanup just now, using shmnview-x64

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shell_menu_view.html

Removed a ton of crap like WinAmp and VLC and MediaInfo and all that.
Yeah, but individual app responsibility on this won't be an effective solution - just think of how many Rainmeter skins are "responsible" enough to follow various guidelines regarding code, design or any of that. Some will, some won't. Some cases would be lack of responsibility, some would be lack of time, some would be lack of knowledge, etc.

Sometimes I wonder if some apps make their products "imperfect" so that other apps can "fix" those things and a (co)dependent ecosystem of apps exists. :D
bigi

Post by bigi »

jsmorley wrote: August 7th, 2021, 12:27 pm I take it back. Looks like they do have a plan in place to allow 3rd-party apps to place themselves in the main context menu, it's just that there is a new approach for doing this with new "rules". Existing apps will need to change how they do things with Windows 11. I'm ok with that.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/microsoft-extending-the-context-menu-and-share-dialog-in-windows 11
maybe they should focus more on decluttering windows before re-inventing the wheel over and over and applying cosmetic changes just to make it appear pleasing but functionality wise, its... broken.

if Im gonna describe win11, he sure is a handsome, beautiful guy, hands down. unfortunately, his **** is broken.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

bigi wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 5:34 pm if Im gonna describe win11, he sure is a handsome, beautiful guy, hands down. unfortunately, his **** is broken.
Ahahah, I like that. I will let it slip.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Well, I just got myself a Win 11 "compatible" laptop (all Ryzen and sh*t...), but obviously chose to install W10 21H1 instead of W11, just because it's sort of a "known quantity" that I know what to expect (or not expect) of...
NewSystemW11OK.jpg
The only thing that drives me crazy is that I can't easily see how optimized are Rainmeter skins in terms of performance on this beast, it's all below 1% now. I guess I own balala some apologies for making a big fuss about optimizing one's skins irrespective of how good is the hardware they run on, because, although I undoubtedly have the same opinion about it, I didn't realize that you simply can't see if you wrote a badly optimized skin or not in such a case. :confused:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.