It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 12:36 pm

Windows 8 tips and tricks

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
jsmorley
Developer

Windows 8 tips and tricks

Post by jsmorley »

Since it is likely to be a topic of conversation here as Windows 8 progresses, I thought I would start a thread where the new Windows 8 and any issues we find with Rainmeter can be discussed.

I have installed Win8 64bit in a dual-boot partition, and am happy to say that as far as I can tell from some quick testing, Rainmeter seems to work perfectly well with it. Time will tell if anything comes up that we need to address, but so far so good.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Windows 8 tips and tricks

Post by jsmorley »

Here is a hot off the presses little utility that will let you (if you so desire) disable the "Metro" interface in Windows 8 while not losing some of the other goodies that are new.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/disable-metro-features-while-keeping-ribbon-explorer-in-windows-8/
AlC

Post by AlC »

jsmorley wrote:and am happy to say that as far as I can tell from some quick testing, Rainmeter seems to work perfectly well with it.
nice to hear that and I believe that I read somewhere that every program which run on win7 should run on win8, too.
Rainmeter - You are only limited by your imagination and creativity.
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

Maybe you could take a quick look at this question on yahoo answers. It's about Rainmeter not working on Windows 8.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

smurfier wrote:Maybe you could take a quick look at this question on yahoo answers. It's about Rainmeter not working on Windows 8.
I have no idea about Media Player, I thought I read somewhere that they didn't ship it, or not a final version, with Win8 Dev Preview. I have never allowed Media Player to run on any system I own, so I can't address that specific thing yet. I'm others here will be able to sort it out once more have Win8 running.
bobgrosh

Post by bobgrosh »

I've been playing a bit with windows 8.

Here is the computer (Fig1), built from three old junkers thrown away by a local business when they bought new PC's.
post1.jpg
Fig 2 is a screen capture of all three monitors showing the windows 8 desktop with a wallpaper I made from a photo I tool of my grandaughter.
post2.jpg
Fig 3 shows what happens when I use the windows 8 start. Uck! it cut the tug boat in half. I also have to scroll the left monitor to get to the rest of my tiles.

Fig 4 is the extrapolated windows 8 start menu background ( they now call them Tattoos?) I drew to fit three monitors.

Now when I bring up the Metro start menu, (Fig 5) the walpaper on the two right hand monitors match the start menu. I no longer have to scroll the "Metro" start menu because I added all the hidden tiles to the center and right monitors via Rainmeter and Omnimo.

Also in Fig 5, Notice the three added concentric circles on the far right end of the screen. That is a Rainmeter clock (Fig 6)done to vompliment the windows 8 start background.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SomeDude

Post by SomeDude »

Is there any danger of using rinmeter on the windows 8 dev. preview?
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

SomeDude wrote:Is there any danger of using rinmeter on the windows 8 dev. preview?
No. Rainmeter is fully functional on Windows 8, including the developer preview.
SomeDude

Post by SomeDude »

Kaelri wrote: No. Rainmeter is fully functional on Windows 8, including the developer preview.
Thank you!
I'm just a little worried...
I always get nervous when modifying my PC. I've had bad experiences in the past...
...so if there was any kind of glitch at all...
what is the worst that could happen?