problem loading skins

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
PoinTool

problem loading skins

Post by PoinTool »

when I start up rainmeter windows open an arror window which says:
There are no available skins at:
C:\Users\-mypcname-\Documents\rainmeter\skins

but the skins are there, maybe the problem is cuase becuase I format my pc but after installing all the skins I edited a theme and put there what I took from my old pc?

Thanks for helping
jsmorley
Developer

Re: problem loading skins

Post by jsmorley »

PoinTool wrote:when I start up rainmeter windows open an arror window which says:
There are no available skins at:
C:\Users\-mypcname-\Documents\rainmeter\skins

but the skins are there, maybe the problem is cuase becuase I format my pc but after installing all the skins I edited a theme and put there what I took from my old pc?

Thanks for helping
Could well be. From the Rainmeter tray icon, select "Edit Settings". Now remove the entire line starting with "SkinPath=" from the file, save it and restart Rainmeter. See if that doesn't fix it.
PoinTool

Post by PoinTool »

jsmorley wrote: Could well be. From the Rainmeter tray icon, select "Edit Settings". Now remove the entire line starting with "SkinPath=" from the file, save it and restart Rainmeter. See if that doesn't fix it.
Awesome it works, thanks

but why does it work now?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

PoinTool wrote: Awesome it works, thanks

but why does it work now?
Well, you no doubt had a different path to your skins before you formatted your PC and rebuilt it. Removing that SkinPath line from the Rainmeter settings file (Rainmeter.ini) made it go figure out where your skins really are rather than using the path from the old install of your PC. Don't forget that a "theme" in Rainmeter is no more than a saved copy of your Rainmeter.ini, so if you copy a theme to a different PC (which is in effect what you did), you will always need to deal with this potential issue.
PoinTool

Post by PoinTool »

jsmorley wrote: Well, you no doubt had a different path to your skins before you formatted your PC and rebuilt it. Removing that SkinPath line from the Rainmeter settings file (Rainmeter.ini) made it go figure out where your skins really are rather than using the path from the old install of your PC. Don't forget that a "theme" in Rainmeter is no more than a saved copy of your Rainmeter.ini, so if you copy a theme to a different PC (which is in effect what you did), you will always need to deal with this potential issue.
oh cool, I didnt thought about that and its probably didnt work becuase my new pc has a diffrent name...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

PoinTool wrote: oh cool, I didnt thought about that and its probably didnt work becuase my new pc has a diffrent name...
If you replace "probably" with "absolutely" you are spot on. ;-)