It is currently May 5th, 2024, 6:43 am

[Suggestion] Load skin file in Context Menu

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
KreAch3R

[Suggestion] Load skin file in Context Menu

Post by KreAch3R »

I think that a custom entry to the Right click context menu would be a nice functional implementation. It would be triggered by the .ini files (possibly only inside Skins folder) and display this entry:

So that we don't have to open Manager to load a skin.
Inactive, due to life changes. Send me a PM for any question.

Desktop DeviartArt
Kaelri
Developer

Re: [Suggestion] Load skin file in Context Menu

Post by Kaelri »

I think this is a cool idea, actually. :) Would like to hear from others, of course. The only potential issue is that it would have to be optional - something you could set either during installation or from Settings, and remove from the same. A lot of people really object to programs taking over their context menus without permission (and yes, I'm one of them).
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

I'm glad you like it! I'm also one of them. Actually, there are a lot of installed programs' entries removed without their will :twisted: in the above screenshot. I hate the enormous type of context menu with ugly, unused and mismatched icons . :p I just lost a lot of time trying to achieve the antialiasing and the font in the screenshot, that I forgot to add that it had to be optional. I only thought of the installation - ticking option, but it would be great to be able to enable it whenever we want through settings. It could be an entry in the Rainmeter.ini, like this

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
DisableContextMenuEntry=0
:D

Desktop DeviartArt
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'm not sure an association like that where right clicking a .ini file can add a context entry to load a skin can be "folder" specific. I most certainly would not want that being offered in folders other than \Skins, as that would be pointless and unprofessional. My gut reaction to this is a bit negative, as I really hate apps that add things to the context menu, but as long as it is something that could be set on install, and unset by reinstalling, I guess that would address that issue.

Myself, I find it a lot quicker and easier to left click the Rainmeter icon and load the skin from Manager rather than drilling down into my \Skins folder in Explorer, but there are a lot of ways to navigate a computer, and no one way is the right one.
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

I completely understand your reasoning. A constant entry in every .ini file would indeed look unprofessional from the developer side of view, but I particularly (as a user) wouldn't mind if it was there. The point I am trying to make is that if it is made optional (and not the default option), users will use it, when they want it.

As far as navigating is concerned, I load the skins most of the time through Manager (or previously RainBrowser), too. I need this option when I'm editing or writing new skins, and I "am" inside their folders, renaming files & customizing directory paths. Then it would be great that after I am done, I would load the new renamed-repositioned skin without leaving the folder. :)

Desktop DeviartArt