It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 11:35 pm

Suggestion - Folder/file reading and displaying

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Wolfram23

Suggestion - Folder/file reading and displaying

Post by Wolfram23 »

As far as I can tell after searching around these forums as well as looking over many skins, it seems that Rainmeter is not capable of displaying all the items in a folder.

Essentially what I'd like to do is build a "link bar" so that I can clean up my desktop. Currently I added, for example, all my game shortcuts to one folder. It would be awesome if I could simply click "Games" on a skin, and have it show all my games that are in that folder. Possibly even allow showing the icon file, and definitely being able to execute the games from the sub menu.

This would be a great way to clean up the desktop and allow flexibility so you're not constantly modifying the skin every time you add or remove something from a folder.

As it stands now, I'm going to simply have to make it so that clicking "Games" opens the folder with all my shortcuts, but obviously that forces me to use default Windows windows.
poiru
Developer

Re: Suggestion - Folder/file reading and displaying

Post by poiru »

This will very likely be possible with Lua soon. Stay tuned :)
santa_ryan

Re: Suggestion - Folder/file reading and displaying

Post by santa_ryan »

I have a VERY simplistic autoit script that does what your asking for, but theres one problem with it. Its not native rainmeter :)

Now, if lua can do this with "SetOption" abilities now, It would be absolutely amazing.

In lua it would be something like this:
Read all files of a folder into an array
Go through that array and make a new meter for each file it finds using !SetOption
I have three rules when I'm trying to help you.
  • Don't get mad when you don't understand something
  • Be VERY specific with what you ask for.
    The more specific you are, the higher the quality of support you receive.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.