It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 7:42 am

Is there an official Rainmeter Forums feed?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Is there an official Rainmeter Forums feed?

Post by jsmorley »

What I would be tempted to do is write the skin with a WebParser measure that just gets the entire HTML at once, with

RegExp="(?siU)(.*)"

and

Debug=2
Debug2File=#CURRENTPATH#FeedToRead.txt

Then you can open that text file in Lua, parse it with string.match into a table, then use Meter:SetText() to push out the values to meters in the order you want.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

If you don't want to go that far with Lua, you could do all the normal WebParser measures that gets everything into StringIndexs, but then have a Lua script that reads the values of each measure into a table, and again uses SetText() to set the meters in reverse order. The advantage to this is that you don't have to wade into string.match() right away. It is "similar" to regular expressions, but has some differences that take a little head scratching... The disadvantage is that you would have to parse the ENTIRE feed to get to the bottom, instead of just the first 3, 5, 10 as we do now. In fact, now that I think about it, that is more than a disadvantage to this approach. It might just be a show stopper... Probably better to go pure Lua.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

jsmorley wrote: The little Lua / skin I wrote is here: http://jsmorley.deviantart.com/#/d37xqqx
Thanks for that : I'll see what I can do to adapt it when I have time on Wednesday..

Thanks again
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Mordasius wrote: Thanks for that : I'll see what I can do to adapt it when I have time on Wednesday..

Thanks again
Sure thing. Here is another skin I did, which shows how to use Lua to parse our ATOM feed for Rainmeter. It should get you off and running pretty well.

http://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6395
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

jsmorley wrote:Sure thing. Here is another skin I did, which shows how to use Lua to parse our ATOM feed for Rainmeter. It should get you off and running pretty well.

http://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6395
Thanks for this. Even if it doesn't sort entries by date it looks to be an excellent starting point..

UPDATE 20 JULY: I've posted a working version and would appeciate comments/suggestions http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8984&p=52966#p52966
Last edited by Mordasius on July 20th, 2011, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jkon

Post by Jkon »

@ jsmorely,

I already had "run as admin" set,still get the UAC each time,it's no big deal.If i run it without run as admin on,it starts without the UAC but wont access the internet.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Jkon wrote:@ jsmorely,

I already had "run as admin" set,still get the UAC each time,it's no big deal.If i run it without run as admin on,it starts without the UAC but wont access the internet.
Beats me. You could try installing RainRegExp somewhere outside of "Program Files", as it doesn't need to be in the Rainmeter Addons folder at all as it doesn't talk to Rainmeter and can be put anywhere. It's fully portable and can just be dropped in any folder and run. If you operate outside of "Program Files" I think UAC might get out of your grill out it.
Jkon

Post by Jkon »

This is odd,originally I ran it from my downloads folder and had to run it as admin,moved it to addons folder,still had to run as admin.Deleted that version reopened the original copy and it runs fine. :confused: