It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 11:36 am

Is there an official Rainmeter Forums feed?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Mordasius

Is there an official Rainmeter Forums feed?

Post by Mordasius »

I'm sure that there are lots of us that are more than grateful for the help, support, and ideas that we get from the Rainmeter Forums but I'm not sure where best to access the Rainmeter Forums feeds.

Seems that we can use ->http://rainmeter.net/forum/feed.php or ->http://forum.rainmeter.net/rss.php? . They give similar but not identical lists of the most recent posts and since they are in different formats they need different "RegExp" definitions in your RSS reader to read them.

So to the question. Is there an official Rainmeter Forums feed?
smurfier

Re: Is there an official Rainmeter Forums feed?

Post by smurfier »

I'm not sure what you mean by "official" since both of those come straight from the official Rainmeter forum.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

It looks like those two feeds should be identical in terms of content. The board software just offers you a choice between RSS and Atom. The last few entries in both feeds appear to match.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

Kaelri wrote:It looks like those two feeds should be identical in terms of content. The board software just offers you a choice between RSS and Atom. The last few entries in both feeds appear to match.
Sorry for my ignorance, but can you point me to somewhere that tells me about the difference between RSS and Atom.

P.S. sorry to say the two feeds are not always the same in terms of content. (and I suppose I should ask why have two sources to the same forum updates anyway?)
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I use the ATOM feed http://rainmeter.net/forum/feed.php myself. phpBB has officially changed to ATOM from RSS, mostly because the ATOM format is open source and the RSS format actually is owned by someone, although free to use. This has caused some constraints with having the RSS format evolve to meet new needs. The latest version of phpBB ONLY comes with the ATOM feed format, not both. I left the RSS format feed that was shipped with an earlier version of phpBB simply to maintain backwards compatibility for those who have been using RSS for years.

I would recommend that any new skins use the URL above, to ensure compatibility going forward.
Jkon

Post by Jkon »

@ JSMorely

Have you noticed that your atom expression in Enigma 3.0 has the link trailing the title causing a mismatching of all the titles and links in the rainmeter atom feed.(atleast I think thats what the problem is)
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

Jkon wrote:@ JSMorely

Have you noticed that your atom expression in Enigma 3.0 has the link trailing the title causing a mismatching of all the titles and links in the rainmeter atom feed.(atleast I think thats what the problem is)
I discovered this on my own about ninety seconds ago.

I really don't know if it's soluble. Regular expressions are designed to parse, well, regular expressions. Their ability to adapt to out-of-order elements is extremely limited. If there are any Perl experts who have been watching our amateur RegExp frustrations, now would be a wonderful time to speak up.
Jkon

Post by Jkon »

I recently implemented the same system you used in enigma to switch between feed types in some skins of my own and just realized it after reading this post.I suspect it could be overcome by extending the existing lookarounds but I'm certainly not the one to do it.Otherwise I think it's a case of providing the measures in the right order in a seperate stylesheet.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

It's not a stylesheet issue really, but a php one. For some reason phpBB has the ATOM tags in a different order than other feeds do. I guess in a world where a proper XML/ATOM reader is used, the tool reading it should be sort of "order agnostic" in any case. RegExp certainly is not order agnostic, it is order fundamentalist. Kaelri and I have put up a new .php file with the order as expected. It is http://rainmeter.net/forum/atom_feed.php.