It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 7:03 am

Is there an official Rainmeter Forums feed?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Jkon

Re: Is there an official Rainmeter Forums feed?

Post by Jkon »

That was quick.Nice one.I noticed phpBB's own feed has the order backwards aswell.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Jkon wrote:That was quick.Nice one.I noticed phpBB's own feed has the order backwards aswell.
I'm not sure they would see it that way. As I understand it, ATOM is hierarchical based on tags, but within a single "level" of the hierarchy, I don't think order is supposed to matter. Your reader is supposed to be able to deal with that.
Jkon

Post by Jkon »

Understood.I do have a quick question for you off subject.I downloaded your Rainreg.exe,great little program,but i have to keep running it as administrator and dealing with the UAC.Is there anything i can do to prevent this?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I turn of UAC as my second action on a new install, after installing Microsoft Security Essentials, as I hate it like poison. So I'm no expert on it, but I'm betting that if you right click RainRegExp.exe and under Properties / Compatibility set it to "Run as administrator", it might fix that.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

jsmorley wrote:I use the ATOM feed http://rainmeter.net/forum/feed.php myself .... (and ).... I would recommend that any new skins use the URL above, to ensure compatibility going forward.
I understand why you recommend the ATOM feed but one little niggle with the Rainmeter Forum feed is that the <title> entries include the name of the forum (Introductions, Rainmeter Help, etc.) which can make for some rather long strings that get cut sho... on Meters anything much slimmer than 250 pixels (unless you cut to the "•" seperator to omit the forum title which I guess would make it a Rainmeter Forum specific reader).

Another thing I might as well raise while I'm here is that many of the RSS feeds (like those of the BBC) do not sort the entires by date/time which means that many of the Rainmeter Feed Readers might not always be showing the most recent posts. So I was wondering if anyone has done a Rainmeter Feed Reader which sorts the posts by date to ensure that only the most recent are shown? - I guess this would be a doddle using a LUA script (says he having only ever done anything with a LUA script once before!)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Mordasius wrote: I understand why you recommend the ATOM feed but one little niggle with the Rainmeter Forum feed is that the <title> entries include the name of the forum (Introductions, Rainmeter Help, etc.) which can make for some rather long strings that get cut sho... on Meters anything much slimmer than 250 pixels (unless you cut to the "•" seperator to omit the forum title which I guess would make it a Rainmeter Forum specific reader).

Another thing I might as well raise while I'm here is that many of the RSS feeds (like those of the BBC) do not sort the entires by date/time which means that many of the Rainmeter Feed Readers might not always be showing the most recent posts. So I was wondering if anyone has done a Rainmeter Feed Reader which sorts the posts by date to ensure that only the most recent are shown? - I guess this would be a doddle using a LUA script (says he having only ever done anything with a LUA script once before!)
You certainly can use http://rainmeter.net/forum/rss.php if you prefer RSS over ATOM.

Both the RSS and ATOM feeds we have are in reverse chronological order, (latest post first) so I'm not sure why you would need Lua for that. I use Lua on my own Rainmeter RSS skin, as I do some additional processing to indent repeated posts in the same topic, and flag posts where I am the author so I can kinda keep a better "at a glance" handle on things. However I don't think there is any NEED to go the Lua route if you don't want to.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

jsmorley wrote: You certainly can use http://rainmeter.net/forum/rss.php if you prefer RSS over ATOM.
I had absolutely no idea on the difference between RSS and ATOM until yesterday when smurfier pointed me to the Wikipedia entry.

All I wanted was a short title entry that gave me a direct link to the entry rather than the first post of the topic. For which the following serves quite nicely:

Code: Select all

[Variables]
ATOM1=http://rainmeter.net/forum/atom_feed.php
GetATOM="(?(?=.*<entry>).*<title.*•(.*)><.*base="(.*)"><)"
UpdateFeed=3600
-------

[FeedMe1]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
Url=#ATOM1#
RegExp=(?siU)<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*href="(.*)"#GetAtom##GetAtom##GetAtom##GetAtom##GetAtom##GetAtom##GetAtom##GetAtom##GetAtom#
UpdateRate=#UpdateFeed#
StringIndex=1
Substitute="":"N/A"
My point about the chronological order of BBC feeds was a separate point that maybe should have been posted as a different topic. The Rainmeter Forum posts are posted chronologically but on places like http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_world_edition/programmes/click_online/rss.xml the posts are not.. This is the sort of site where I thought a LUA script to sort entries by date might be useful.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Mordasius wrote: I had absolutely no idea on the difference between RSS and ATOM until yesterday when smurfier pointed me to the Wikipedia entry.

All I wanted was a short title entry that gave me a direct link to the entry rather than the first post of the topic. For which the following serves quite nicely:

Code: Select all

[Variables]
ATOM1=http://rainmeter.net/forum/atom_feed.php
GetATOM="(?(?=.*<entry>).*<title.*•(.*)><.*base="(.*)"><)"
UpdateFeed=3600
-------

[FeedMe1]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
Url=#ATOM1#
RegExp=(?siU)<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*href="(.*)"#GetAtom##GetAtom##GetAtom##GetAtom##GetAtom##GetAtom##GetAtom##GetAtom##GetAtom#
UpdateRate=#UpdateFeed#
StringIndex=1
Substitute="":"N/A"
My point about the chronological order of BBC feeds was a separate point that maybe should have been posted as a different topic. The Rainmeter Forum posts are posted chronologically but on places like http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_world_edition/programmes/click_online/rss.xml the posts are not.. This is the sort of site where I thought a LUA script to sort entries by date might be useful.
Ah, you are certainly correct there. It would actually be pretty easy in Lua. I wrote a little "tail file" skin that does it with text files like logs and such.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

jsmorley wrote: Ah, you are certainly correct there. It would actually be pretty easy in Lua. I wrote a little "tail file" skin that does it with text files like logs and such.
Hey Bro.. Could you show us what the "tail file" looks like?
Last edited by Mordasius on July 17th, 2011, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Mordasius wrote: Hey Bro.. How about you show me your tail and I'll cover you with the resultant skin?
Are you hitting on me!??? LOL

The little Lua / skin I wrote is here:

http://jsmorley.deviantart.com/#/d37xqqx