It is currently September 19th, 2024, 8:04 pm

Re-Entering The Atmosphere

Introduce yourself to the Rainmeter community!
iUnify

Re-Entering The Atmosphere

Post by iUnify »

Hello my rainy friends!

The names' Marco - I go by iUnify online... and I used to be fairly active on this board. BUT, things change and time does what it will with you- as such I was busy with other things for the last TWO YEARS! Yep, it's been two long years since I've touched a thing on Rainmeter - or did much of anything for enjoyment really! But I am back- and with a vengeance!

I really want to get to know Rainmeter and understand how to make my own skins. I had a project I was working on and would like to pick it up again now, if there is anyone who can help me I would be GREATLY appreciative! I need kinda a lot of help.

See, I was using v. 1 and there were no skin files- you'd get a folder with everything in it and you could edit the .ini's and pictures through that location. I know MUCH has changed (for the better) but the bad news is I am re-learning something I never even really knew all that well!!

What I want to do is simply make one full desktop skin setup for myself. I've got a great idea on what I want and with all that's new out there I am sure that I'll find many new ideas as well.

Well, I am happy to be back, see some familiar names on the board and hope to eventually share the creation that I hope you all can help me make with the community when it is done. Today I'd like to figure out some stuff if possible, it seems a bit daunting to be honest ATM.

Oh, one other thing - are all the old skin files (in the folders as I described above) still worth hanging on to? I've got a million!

THANK YOU ALL for keeping this board up and running and THANK YOU ALL for any responses to this post. I truly do appreciate your time.

- Marco (iUnify)
Kaelri
Developer

Re: Re-Entering The Atmosphere

Post by Kaelri »

Welcome back. :)

Things haven't changed that much, as you'll find. Rainmeter is still Rainmeter, and any skins you were using two years ago will still be useful and usable today. Most of the changes have been about expanding the range of what Rainmeter can do by itself, with far less need for separate software and addons written in AutoIt. If you're anything like me, you'll find it very satisfying to update your older work, replacing complex, labyrinthine code with the simple and elegant methods that are now possible.

As always, I'm sure the community will be happy to give you guidance and assistance as you rediscover the skin-writing process.
iUnify

Re: Re-Entering The Atmosphere

Post by iUnify »

Thanks Kaelri, Good to hear from you as well!

Once I get some digging around done I'll be making some more posts. :)

Now, to find some skins and play around a bit...