It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 8:27 am

Microsoft Outlook icon

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
somecrazystuff

Microsoft Outlook icon

Post by somecrazystuff »

Just wondering if it would be possible to get an icon feed worked up to pull and display email from Microsoft Outlook. I'm sure next to no-one here even like Outlook but i have no issues with it and am currently using it (especially since i just paid $150.00USD to get Microsoft Office.. bloody school requirements :x ).

What exactly it is that I am looking for is a way to have emails pop up on the desktop in a list, almost like a RSS feed. However I would like for it to remain current at all times, granted a few seconds when you first get an email. It should show only unread email. Perhaps there should be a second applet for displaying previously read emails, I know some people like to see that as well.

I did look around the forums and didn;t see anything to this nature so I really do hope I'm not posting something that has been previously requested. Also, I am just starting out with Rainmeter as well as scripting in general so I am not too fluent in any of it.

Much thanks to everyone who offers any help at all!
sgtevmckay

Re: Microsoft Outlook icon

Post by sgtevmckay »

:welcome: to the Forums :D

Just got off with communicating with a couple of associated at MSDN
Here is what they presented:
Office 2003 is easy to accommodate, as OutLook has a built in API accessible system

In OutLook 2007 they switched to MAPI, and although this just makes things a little more complicated, it is still an accessible API direct system for OutLook, that allows parsing and some control of the OutLook App.

As outlined here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb187387.aspx

The good, bad , and ugly:

The Good:
Is this Do-able: I believe so

The Bad:
It is something that is well outside my purview

The Ugly:
For controls and parsing such as you are requesting, a whole new DLL will need to be made (As far as I can tell). You are welcome to try and tackle this issue in your own time, and we here would support you in every way we can, and that is not saying a little.
Or
A proposal to have someone build the requested DLL and a starter skin could be made, but then there is the wait to see if someone can and will, and that could take some time.
Matt.davey

Post by Matt.davey »

Am going to look into building this DLL. Just need to convert my c# foo into c++ foo.

Will poke around existing DLL's and have a looksy when it's not 3am and I'm tired!
Visiting hours are 9 to 5, and if I show up at 10 past 6
Well, I already know that you'd find some way to sneak me in and oh
Mind the empty bottle with the holes along the bottom
You see it's too much to ask for and I am not the doctor
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Matt.davey wrote:Am going to look into building this DLL. Just need to convert my c# foo into c++ foo.

Will poke around existing DLL's and have a looksy when it's not 3am and I'm tired!
Get some rest friend.

Remember:
Rome, a day, and never done.

Thanks
tru

Post by tru »

...sorry wrong section
sadMicrowave

Post by sadMicrowave »

I too would like to incorporate my Outlook calendar/inbox with the rainmeter (skinned with enigma 2.0) theme. But know NOTHING about coding my own DLL and am not afraid to admit it!

Please post back with what you find out--i.e. if it is doable, how hard it is, or the entire code itself-lol

Thanks
Plantje

Post by Plantje »

It's been over a year since somebody posted in this topc for the last time. But, as some other people, I am really looking for Outlook integration. Currently I am using the Omnimo theme and I pretty much like it, but I dislike the fact there is no integration with Outlook.

What I would really like is:
-E-mails from Outlook the same way as now the Gmail is integrated
-Task from Outlook
-Notes from Outlook
-Calendar from Outlook