It is currently April 27th, 2024, 11:59 pm

Replaceing windows user manager with different RM Themes

General topics related to Rainmeter.
bobgrosh

Replaceing windows user manager with different RM Themes

Post by bobgrosh »

I'm inviting Rainmeter users to participate in a discussion.

The general topic is, "Organizing your PC"

I am the only who uses my computers.

However, I wear many hats. Each hat (task) required a certain group of programs and directories.

I use different user logins to help organize my desktop and file structure for different tasks.

I'm one of those people who had icons all over my desktop. So many of them that I was an early adopter of using two video cards and dual monitors.

I arranged the icons in groups and columns according to the task I was performing. Of course, if windows crashed, all my icons would be scrambled and moved to the left side. Frustrating.

Eventually, years ago, I set up different users for each hat (task). Each user log-in had only the icons on the desktop that I needed for that task. A different theme and wallpaper also made it easy to identify which task the computer was currently running.

Some of the user names ended up being:

"Family" - Videos and photos, family web site etc.
"Producer" - Webcasting Business
"Developer" - Software Development
"Personal" - Blogs, health records
"Trains" - Hobby web site, inventory, and DCC software development.
"RealTime" - Video arrainment and visitation business records and software development.
"Engineering" - Autocad drawings, bid documents, software development and photo archive from various consulting jobs.

As you can see these are really TASK names, not USERS,

One benefit of using different user/task names is that when Windows or applications decide to automatically put files in a certain folder, they end up in folders under different "users/tasks".
Importing a picture from a camera while logged in as Engineering, gets save in /user/engineering/pictures, not lumped in with thousands of photos of the kids and vacations.

This has worked well for me for many years. Then Vista happened.

The user manager for Vista created all sorts of problems. (Turning off user manager didn't help either.) Sometimes I would want to use a picture I took, an icon I created, or a program I had written while doing some engineering work and use it in some other task.

I was constatly being prevented for accessing a file I needed in one "Task" account while logged in as another "Task".

Worse, in Vista, dragging files from one user to another sometimes resulted in false error messages like "file not found" or "File in use by another program" when you wanted to use the copied file. In reality, the file is not in use, or deleted, is still owned by the original user, but Vista doesn't report the error correctly.

I got fed up with Vista and upgraded all my machines to 7, but that created even more issues.

RAINMETER TO THE RESCUE?

I already discovered that I use Rainmeter under several different user names. I mostly use Gnometer. but sometimes use other Skin sets. I found that each user login had Gnometer set up differently. I hide skins I don't use in some users/tasks, and set the email and RSS feeds differently in each user/task.

I am considering consolidating all the users into one, and moving the different user directories into a TASK directory, all under a single user.

If nothing else, this will eliminate the long wait when I have to switch users.

This would allow me to simply switch Themes in Rainmeter, rather than switching users in windows. Each Theme could share some common configs, but other configs would only be active if I needed them in that task.

Obviously, each Theme would have a different application and folder launcher.

Each theme can also have a different wallpaper to identify which task configuration is in effect and arrainge the configs for best use in that task. Different variations of configs can also be chosen for each task.

The Rainmeter Theme manager is ideal for managing the different user/tasks.

A simple meter in all the themes could server as a user/task switcher, providing an almost instant switch of the desktop, including wallpaper when switching tasks.

Now for some specific topics for dicussion.

If you were to use a suite of themes to replace user logins, or just manage different tasks, what would you do?

Would you need to change some windows variables so that downloads from the web, new documents, or pictures imported into the computer went to different /task/ subdirectories?

Would you need some way to automaticly change your google, gmail or hotmail logins for each Task?

Would you need to change windows system variables to point to different task directories?

Would you use entirely different RM skins for different tasks? IE: Gnometer for business, Enigma for gameing, ABP or one of the many artistic, but simple desktop themes for personal use.

Are here any anticipated problems in any of the themes when setting up different launchers for different tasks? Can that be handled by simply creating different copies of the launcher variations? Will separate include files need to be created just for the launchers if you want other configs to share settings across different tasks?

Please feel free to add you own subtopics.
Seahorse

Re: Replaceing windows user manager with different RM Themes

Post by Seahorse »

I hate icons on my desktop, they are there briefly while I work on something, then I put away/deleted. I have no difficulty launching whatever application I need at the time and make use of a logical filing & naming convention with data files. Logging in more than once would drive me bonkers. I have to say I could not work efficiently the way you describe.

The nice thing about computers is it allows both approaches... :rolmfao:
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

santa_ryan

Post by santa_ryan »

If you were to use a suite of themes to replace user logins, or just manage different tasks, what would you do?
I wouldnt really need a different suite, but rather just a visible way of telling which "user" im on.
Would you need to change some windows variables so that downloads from the web, new documents, or pictures imported into the computer went to different /task/ subdirectories?
If you wanted to get really fancy, windows stores internet explorer download folder in the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
Key: Download Directory

Just change it before starting IE and away you go. I would imagine you could do the same for browsers like Firefox (editing the user file, which gives all of the keys defined in About:Config) and likewise with Chrome. I have never used Safari so I wouldn't know how to change that one.

Also, chrome and firefox have themes you can use, and so you can easily have a launcher setup to run a different "Themed" browser based on which user your logged in.
Would you need some way to automaticly change your google, gmail or hotmail logins for each Task?
As for the changing of gmail, hotmail, or just email stuff, I wouldnt need to, as i would have predefined "Folders" and have the mail client I use auto sort everything.
I also use LastPass for everything, and that is outside the scope of rainmeter, and anything on the system.
Would you need to change windows system variables to point to different task directories?
System variables dont take effect until after a relog (or at least in most cases), so that one is out of the window. However, because I have windows 7, there are tricks that I know that can get me to places in the system almost instantly, unlike WinXP where I actually had to open Windows Explorer to do much of anything with the filesystem. The mere fact that I can just start typing at any given moment, and a search comes up insta-searching like how Google does with their searches, allows me to quickly just type E for instance and bring up the engineering folder and hit enter.

So in effect, I just press E for engineering, G for gaming, B for business, F for family, P for personal, etc etc etc
Would you use entirely different RM skins for different tasks? IE: Gnometer for business, Enigma for gameing, ABP or one of the many artistic, but simple desktop themes for personal use.

Are here any anticipated problems in any of the themes when setting up different launchers for different tasks? Can that be handled by simply creating different copies of the launcher variations? Will separate include files need to be created just for the launchers if you want other configs to share settings across different tasks?
As for the launchers, what I would do is would be to go in and have each of the "Task Switching" buttons on the meter do a WriteKeyValue bang and change the @include of the launcher, so that the @include could be #CurrentSkin#\Engineering.inc or #CurrentSkin#\Personal.inc and then refresh the entire setup, so instead of having to have different launchers which would take longer to setup, I have a very flexible system, so that I just need to make another inc and add another button.
Please feel free to add you own subtopics.
I have three rules when I'm trying to help you.
  • Don't get mad when you don't understand something
  • Be VERY specific with what you ask for.
    The more specific you are, the higher the quality of support you receive.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.
bobgrosh

Post by bobgrosh »

Thanks for the input Santa.

Lots of good ideas there.

I had figured out a way to do your last suggestion, I had done something similar in my webcast skin to select different channels, I had different .inc files for each web channel. However, my implementation was a little different and more complex. After reading your description, I went back and changed my !bangs a little and simplified my code a bunch. Seems like every time I read one of your posts I learn how to be a better Rainmeterer? LOL.

I just added a new desktop to my stable of PC's, a six core AMD with 8 gig and 4 internal multi-terabyte drives. It has two big Viewsonic displays and I really look forward to finishing this webcast project and implementing a multi-theme Rainmeter setup. I may even try VirtuaWin and the VDM manager plugin thing that RM now supports. Haven't ever tried that before.
santa_ryan

Post by santa_ryan »

Haha thank you.

Anywayz, i looked at your rainmeter setup on the video thats posted at your blog. Its really nice.

P.S. I am envious of you for having a six core. I only have the best quad AMD offers. I want to get the new bulldozer processor. I'm upgrading my mobo soon... xP
I have three rules when I'm trying to help you.
  • Don't get mad when you don't understand something
  • Be VERY specific with what you ask for.
    The more specific you are, the higher the quality of support you receive.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.
Falconer

Post by Falconer »

@ Bob: I find the whole concept of using different User Profiles for different tasks quite intriguing. I'd heard of different web browser profiles, or different browsers completely, for work/non-work, but not different users in Windows. That's brilliant.

Though I suppose one's mileage would vary depending on how much "stuff" you actually have and the work that you do. For myself, I couldn't use the multiple user approach because after breaking my activities down into profiles, I'm not sure there would be enough content in each one to justify it's existence, you know what I mean?

I wonder if the new Libraries in Windows 7 could help you with your organization? For instance, you might have a folder structure like this:
C:\Bob\Photos\Engineering
C\Bob\Photos\Family
C:\Bob\Photos\Radio
etc.
Then have Libraries like this:
Engineering (contains \Photos\Engineering, \Documents\Engineering, \Downloads\Engineering, etc.)
Family (contains \Photos\Family, \Documents\Family, \Downloads\Family, and so on)
Radio (yeah...)

So, through folders you would have files organized by type, and through libraries by task, or vice versa if you want - whichever works best.

Having one skin that acts as a theme switcher would be pretty straightforward.
I would of course have a wallpaper that identifies the task, and possibly some slight appearance changes, but I wouldn't change where the main skins are positioned between themes - the launcher is always top right, the folders are always top left, the system stats are right screen edge, etc; that way you have some consistency between tasks.

There's my two cents - you all have given me some great ideas for organization.

And by the way Mr Grosh, you have doing some crazy awesome things with Rainmeter and really stretching the boundaries of the application - not just the standard clock and CPU skins. Following along has been educational, kudos sir. :thumbup:
bobgrosh

Post by bobgrosh »

Falconer wrote:@ Bob: I find the whole concept of using different User Profiles for different tasks quite intriguing. ...
snip
I wonder if the new Libraries in Windows 7 could help you with your organization? ...
Having one skin that acts as a theme switcher would be pretty straightforward.
I would of course have a wallpaper that identifies the task, and possibly some slight appearance changes, but I wouldn't change where the main skins are positioned between themes - the launcher is always top right, the folders are always top left, the system stats are right screen edge, etc; that way you have some consistency between tasks.
And by the way Mr Grosh, you have doing some crazy awesome things with Rainmeter and really stretching the boundaries of the application - not just the standard clock and CPU skins. Following along has been educational, kudos sir. :thumbup:
BLUSH
Thanks.

I sort of delayed getting Windows 7, but the whole Library thing sort of grabbed me. It was the one thing that really made me finally switch all my home PC's over. I haven't really had time to fully exploit it, but I believe you are right on track about the Library feature.

Your thinking about the skins having the same layout, positioning and functions across all skins is exactly what I had in mind. While the program launcher and folders launchers would be in the same spot in all skins, they would be customized to launch the applications and folders only needed for that task. Of course, some of the launchers would be consistently arranged in the same order for all tasks. IE, Web browser, Windows explorer, Print manager and email client might always be in positions 1, 2, 3, and 4, however, I need to sign in with different user accounts depending on the task. I contribute to 20 different forums and 30 different blogs, and am the webmaster for over 40 web sites. As a result I use 9 different google identities to log me in to all those sites.

BTW, I had not thought of putting folder launchers on one side and the program launchers on the other. Brilliant Idea. I had always shoved them all together on one side of the screen. Separating them makes sense, I'm not sure why, but I bet that as soon as I do what you suggest it will become second nature.

Lastly. (almost)
Crazy awesome things? I guess I just happened into Rainmeter with out any pre-concieved notions.

I was impressed with the beauty of the many artistic skins on DA. I could also sense the underlying thoughtfulness and design that made it so expandable and powerful.

What I found missing was a lot of little skins that I thought someone must surely have already written:
Internet monitoring, webcam controls. Video conferencing, phone dialers, Google Voice, volume controls for microphones, VU meters for any sound, meters for DropBox storage, interfaces to hardware like bathroom scales, Postage meters, Keystroke counters, or my favorite, a histogram showing the distance and average speed of my daily bike rides. (Bike pedometers now have heart rate monitors and USB ports!)
Heck, the first thing I though I would do is go buy a digital thermometer and RAIN Gauge from Radio Shack.
I guess that just goes to show that there is plenty of room to customize your desktop and make it yours. Rainmeter is still in the growing stage.

Finally, (does finally come after Lastly?)
Your compliments were nice to hear, but really, I am still a newbee. The real heroes here are the developers who are true artists and are so helpful to the guys like me who just stumble into the room and start hacking away without much knowledge of all the work that others have put into Rainmeter.

Thanks again, Falconer.