It is currently September 19th, 2024, 12:28 pm

Sup all

Introduce yourself to the Rainmeter community!
Fuzzy

Sup all

Post by Fuzzy »

So yea I am a new comer to a section of 4chan by the designation of /wg/ some of you may have or may have not heard about it. I am into graphic design and was starting to get frustrated with the clutter on my desktop.

This is my current desktop now....yes I know its cluttered to hell and back lol. But the wallpaper is custom made :D.

Anyways I was wondering if you guys could tell me more about rainmeter. Is there anyways to undo what ever you apply (I share this computer with my parents), is rainmeter an easy install? Are there a history of virus problem's with anything having to do with rainmeter? Thanks.
Kaelri
Developer

Re: Sup all

Post by Kaelri »

Welcome. :)

Rainmeter itself is very easy to install, and completely risk-free. It's entirely self-contained - you can run it as a portable app if you want to. It will not modify any system files, has no effect on your system when the application isn't running, and leaves no residual presence when you uninstall it. If you close Rainmeter when you're not using the computer, your parents probably won't even know it was there.

As for third-party skins, there have recently been some problems with malware showing up in the gallery on deviantART and some other places. For the most part, these are being taken down fairly quickly, and if you download an existing skin that already has a lot of downloads and positive reviews, you're probably ok. (Short version: trust the comments.) If you really want to play it safe, you can post about a suspicious-looking skin on this forum, and one of our members will check it out.
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

well I installed it, now I am completly lost. I organized my desktop icon's and moved them down to the standard windows taskbar. Now I have an organized desktop with some icon's on the wallpaper with the rain meter standard icon's the google tab, network tab, system tab, DISK tab, recycle bin tab, time, and lifehacker what ever that is.

What do I do from here lol I mean change the fonts, tab's etc. I know this is a pure example of laziness but in somewhat of a hurry.
Falconer

Post by Falconer »

Lifehacker will change your life. Or at least, it's a good source for useful programs you'd never heard of and didn't know you needed until you installed them - for instance, it's where I heard of Rainmeter.
:)

Anyway, have you been to the "Rainmeter 101" section of the documentation yet? (Linked in the Welcome skin in your screenshot and in my signature for this post). Even if you're short of time, I'd start there - at least skim through and hit the high points. It will explain all of the basics.
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

What exactly are you trying to do, that you're "in a hurry" to learn a complex proprietary markup language?