It is currently April 27th, 2024, 1:47 pm

Windows 8 UI

General topics related to Rainmeter.
poiru
Developer

Re: Windows 8 UI

Post by poiru »

BeoStyx wrote:I was about to dip my feet inthe the Rainmeter waters when I saw the new Windows 8 announcements. In light of the recent demos of the upcoming Windows 8 UI, when will you guys start giving design specs/guidance/formats/roadmap for Rainmeter integration into the new system?
When we have more concrete information about what W8 is actually going to be and when the tools and documentation to build software for it are provided by Microsoft. Still very early.

If you're looking for a Windows 8-like skin for Rainmeter, you might want to check out Omnimo (http://fediafedia.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3hu0ny and http://comments.deviantart.com/1/158707137/2017706173).
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

BeoStyx wrote:M was about to dip my feet inthe the Rainmeter waters when I saw the new Windows 8 announcements. In light of the recent demos of the upcoming Windows 8 UI, when will you guys start giving design specs/guidance/formats/roadmap for Rainmeter integration into the new system?
I think we are a long way from even being able to evaluate any changes would be required or even desirable just based on some screenshots and high level "teases" about what might be coming in Windows 8. Certainly we are going to want to take a hard look when the time comes and the underlying API's are available to developers, as it would be my preference to do as much as possible using real Windows functions, like poiru did with "blur" and not try to cobble together work-arounds.

Do keep in mind though that Rainmeter is NOT a shell replacement. It is not our intention to replace Windows functionality like the taskbar or notification area. Rainmeter is also NOT a programming language. While there are a lot of clever things you can do with it, the purpose of Rainmeter at the end of the day is not to create "applications". There are a million ways to do that in a far more efficient and powerful environment.
BeoStyx

Post by BeoStyx »

Strange, somehow my user account was ripped from the system, and I had to recreate it. Also for some reason I am no longer the original author of this post.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I am well aware we are a long way from an official Windows 8 release, and that Rainmeter is not a programming language. I guess what I was really trying to get at is, having SEEN what MS intends for Windows 8 to look like, were there any immediate ideas that popped into your head?

For me, I immediately wondered if you would still be able to put meters to the sides of the screen (beside the tiles), or would they become tiles themselves (a la Omnimo <http://fediafedia.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3hu0ny>), would we have transparent tiles, have a separate swipe area, or bypass altogether the new Start screen and use the "classic" area that would still be available?

Rainmeter is awesome looking stuff, I just wanted to hear what some immediate design thoughts might be.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

BeoStyx wrote:Strange, somehow my user account was ripped from the system, and I had to recreate it. Also for some reason I am no longer the original author of this post.
I am fighting an ongoing battle with spam here, and I must have zigged where I should have zagged somewhere. Sorry about that.