It is currently September 19th, 2024, 12:41 pm

Welcome.

Introduce yourself to the Rainmeter community!
laviri

Welcome.

Post by laviri »

Hey. Just switched from Linux to Windows 7 so I could run a better desktop, though I also dual boot with NERC Biolinux. Right now just have the default Rainmeter setup. Decided to join the forums to figure out how to use it. I'm kind of a novice with programming, though I've just started to learn Python and R because I'll need it for my career in genetics.

Hopefully I'm welcome here, and will soon be able to give back as well. Take it easy.
'why do you wear that stupid human suit?'

Falconer

Re: Welcome.

Post by Falconer »

Hello laviri! Welcome to the forums! :welcome:

Did I just hear you say you switched from linux to Windows 7? O.O Depends on what you need your computer for I guess, but that's still a rare thing to see. And hooray for dual booting! When I build my desktop computer, I want to run Windows 7 | Arch Linux side by side, which should be fun to set up.

Although Linux is generally extremely customizable, if you want to display data on your desktop and it look good, Rainmeter has no comparison. Back when I used Ubuntu, Rainmeter was the only thing I really missed from Windows XP - Conky just didn't cut it. It's a nice program, but it can't do what Rainmeter does as easily as it does it.

And, to top it off, you don't have to know anything about programming to use Rainmeter and write your own skins. It helps, but I know zilch about programming and it works great for me. :)