It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:01 pm

Rainmeter Facebook?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
santa_ryan

Rainmeter Facebook?

Post by santa_ryan »

Is there an official Rainmeter Facebook? lol...

We have a Twitter, DeviantArt, and Customize.org, but no facebook....

It would be very easy to advertise rainmeter there, keep a blog, post new updates (just link it with the rainmeter twitter), post skin/desktop of the month screenshots, etc.
I have three rules when I'm trying to help you.
  • Don't get mad when you don't understand something
  • Be VERY specific with what you ask for.
    The more specific you are, the higher the quality of support you receive.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.
smurfier

Re: Rainmeter Facebook?

Post by smurfier »

I don't know if it official, but...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rainmeter/357447427748
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
santa_ryan

Post by santa_ryan »

Eh... Its not official...

I was thinking more along the lines of:
accepting user submissions into a User Submitted album
Skin Of The Month album with the current skin of the month being the album cover, and "Archiving" the photos, with the captions being the month/year they were chosen.
Posting new updates about rainmeter via twitter link
having skinning contests via facebook applications
being able to sign up here with a facebook account quickly (if the devs are willing to add facebook support which isn't hard to do)
Last edited by santa_ryan on May 27th, 2011, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

Honestly, I believe there is already enough Facebook in the world.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'd really prefer to drive folks to the main site where the official downloads and documentation are, and here for the support and "community". We also have the deviantART Rainmeter group as well of course. We really prefer to have all official news and updates here and on the main site, Personally, I actually despise contests and other pointless silliness in the context of Rainmeter, and I'm not sure we need another place to attract spam.

I'm no fan of Facebook, but don't have any particular hate for it either. I just don't think I see any need for it other than "because we can". It just duplicates, and thus dilutes, functionality that we already have here, in the group, and on the main site. I certainly have no current interest in using Facebook or Google logins here, sticking "like" buttons all over the place, or otherwise integrating us with the annoying behemoth that is facebook. Just my two cents.
santa_ryan

Post by santa_ryan »

I can see where your coming from morley, where we could dilute rainmeter. I'm merely suggesting it as a way to expand the rainmeter community. People will still have to come to the main site for official downloads and documentation anyway, and same for support and for the community. Just disable the ability for people to post stuff in the status updates, and reserve that space for major announcements, such as the virus warning and new stable rainmeter releases, which is easy to do if we link it to twitter. I check facebook quite often, and so do a lot of other people. I figured it would just be another way to quickly update people on the status of rainmeter.

As for the silly contests, it goes both ways. On one side, it can be seen as a way to increase competition, allow more skins to be created, and allow more "features" of rainmeter to be discovered through creativity from people trying to find ways to do stuff faster, more efficiently, and all around "better". This however can be a double edged sword as competition always is and spark some sort of flame war and also create "Fair Usage" issues. While this already happens, this might just escalate the issue enough to actually be noticeable and be a problem.

Spam isn't an issue, as you can easily just disable the ability for users to post and message as stated above. Then, just take the "User Submitted" pictures from people off this site directly from the "Share your creations" thread and from deviantart. Also, allow people to upload pictures to an app for the Skin of the month, allowing votes, and then just erase everything each month.

It won't require much moderation, as it will be gathering its items automagically from offsite.

But, where it stands, this idea is far from perfect, and something that is a long ways off from being either implemented, or it could just be forgotten. Either way, I just wanted to see what people thought of a rainmeter facebook.
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

I actually think we had this up for discussion when we started the group on dA.
The group, that smurfier linked too, was created by some user (I do not know the name) since (s)he was the big promoter of it. However, after some discussions we saw no reason to be on facebook. I think we felt that being on facebook would draw to much attention, of the wrong kind.
Obviously we got the wrong kind anyway, but that's what happens when you are voted "Best Desktop Customization Tool" and beat the competition with a land slide.
We also, like js pointed out, did not think it was a good idea to be all over the net. Keep the places where we are limited so it will be easy to see what information is correct and is not.
That is, if my memory serves me right, how it went down 'in the old days'.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.