Nugget

Fading

Post by Nugget »

There're some new bangs in 2.1 that seem to implement fading:

Code: Select all

!RainmeterShowFade (Config)
!RainmeterHideFade (Config)
!RainmeterToggleFade (Config) 
However, I have NO idea how to use them correctly. If someone could please give me a small tutorial, that'd be great.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Fading

Post by jsmorley »

These bangs are actually not new to 2.1, but have been around for a while.

!RainmeterShowFade (Config), !RainmeterHideFade (Config), !RainmeterToggleFade (Config)
Shows or hides the current or specified (Config) skin using a "fade" effect. The speed of the fade is determined by the "FadeDuration=" setting for the skin in Rainmeter.ini.

These are meant to drive via bang the skin level fading hide/show effect for skins that you can manually set to do on mouse over from the Rainmeter context menu. It is used to fade in - fade out an entire skin, using the fade speed set in Rainmeter.ini for the skin with FadeDuration. It has nothing to do with individual meters, just the entire skin.

The parameter (Config) is the same as for any other bang with this parameter. It is the config name, which is exactly the same as what is shown in the Rainmeter context menu in the list of running configs. So for the clock for Enigma for instance, it might be:

!RainmeterHideFade Enigma\Sidebar\Clock

This would hide the skin using a fade-out transition effect. As with all optional parameters "(parm)" for commands in the manual, if you leave off the Config, then the action takes place on the current skin.

As an aside, I highly recommend never leaving off this parameter. In spite of being optional it can give some plugins like InputText problems if you don't specifically tell it which config you are talking about. If you want the action on the current skin, use #CURRENTCONFIG# as the parameter anyway. It's just a good practice so you are not scratching your head later.
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

jsmorley wrote:These bangs are actually not new to 2.1, but have been around for a while.

!RainmeterShowFade (Config), !RainmeterHideFade (Config), !RainmeterToggleFade (Config)
Shows or hides the current or specified (Config) skin using a "fade" effect. The speed of the fade is determined by the "FadeDuration=" setting for the skin in Rainmeter.ini.

These are meant to drive via bang the skin level fading hide/show effect for skins that you can manually set to do on mouse over from the Rainmeter context menu. It is used to fade in - fade out an entire skin, using the fade speed set in Rainmeter.ini for the skin with FadeDuration. It has nothing to do with individual meters, just the entire skin.

The parameter (Config) is the same as for any other bang with this parameter. It is the config name, which is exactly the same as what is shown in the Rainmeter context menu in the list of running configs. So for the clock for Enigma for instance, it might be:

!RainmeterHideFade Enigma\Sidebar\Clock

This would hide the skin using a fade-out transition effect. As with all optional parameters "(parm)" for commands in the manual, if you leave off the Config, then the action takes place on the current skin.

As an aside, I highly recommend never leaving off this parameter. In spite of being optional it can give some plugins like InputText problems if you don't specifically tell it which config you are talking about. If you want the action on the current skin, use #CURRENTCONFIG# as the parameter anyway. It's just a good practice so you are not scratching your head later.
Ah, I see. Damn, was hoping it could be used for individual meters. May just have to suggest that ;).

Thanks as always js, you never fail to help :D
Trigger Spasm

Post by Trigger Spasm »

I found a slight work around for what I wanted to do using Fade.

Using one Meter in the config I wanted hidden with LeftMouseDownAction=!HideFade for the current config; then fade in using LeftMouseDownAction=!RefreshApp in another config I created, so to unhide the config I had hidden.

It's a bit messy but if you want the end result of a fade out on command and then return on command, that's one way of doing it, I'd be happy if someone knows another way.