It is currently April 26th, 2024, 4:23 am

Another fallible idea... lol...

Topics unrelated to Rainmeter.
JoBu

Another fallible idea... lol...

Post by JoBu »

Just thinking out loud, your comments are appreciated.

I was trying to figure out an application for rainmeter above and beyond the standard visual displays and skinning elements.

That's when I thought of the old MUD clients, and looked around to see if any were still active. Suprisingly, there are tons of them out there with a great number of users.

What if Rainmeter was used to create skins, such as character sheets, map displays, etc. - as well as an information pane that reads (parses) from a netserver or someones home server, dropbox, wherever - that a "DM" or "Narrator" can edit daily and post so that the information is then spread to whoever is part of the "game".

In other words, I set up a page with todays information, much like writing a story, and the members parse that information, display it on their desktops and read through it, following along right from their desktop. I suppose they would then decide what actions to take (as their character within the story) and email (respond somehow) with their decisions. Taking these actions into account, I figure the next step and update the story. And so on.

Basically, I suppose I'm talking about a netgroup. It could be fantasy football, weekly meetings, recipe groups, newsletters, whatever. The difference being instead of hitting a site through your browser, you'd pipe it directly to your desktop. More interactive.

Come to think of it, I don't see why you couldn't create a message service between two clients using parse and write to's. Security risk, sure, but that could be bolstered and made negligible. You wouldn't do it from a work computer, but a home computer wouldn't hurt.

Just some ideas. I might try to figure out the message service deal... that one sounds interesting. Your thoughts?