It is currently May 6th, 2024, 2:11 am

Skin Display Disappeared! HELP!

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
bill98

Skin Display Disappeared! HELP!

Post by bill98 »

My skin just disappeared! It was running on my desktop, I made some changes, went away for a while, and now the skin won't show at all. I'm running rainmeter 2 on a Vista laptop. I had just moved several columns around. Rainmeter shows a check next to the skin so it is running, but no display. Other skins display fine.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
tru

Re: Skin Display Disappeared! HELP!

Post by tru »

Check in RainBrowser under skin sttings and see if the keep on screen box is checked.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

tru wrote:Check in RainBrowser under skin sttings and see if the keep on screen box is checked.
Also in RainBrowser, under Skin Settings for your skin, you can set WindowX and WindowY each to "0" to move the skin to the top left corner of your primary screen. Then you can drag it where you want. It might have gotten moved off into the twilight zone somewhere.
bill98

Post by bill98 »

Thanks for your inputs. In the RainBrowser, I can click on edit settings and get a Rainmeter.ini Enigma file, but I don't see anything called skin settings or a screen box to check. Please elaborate.

I added "WindowsX=0 and WindowsY=0 statements to my skin and refreshed all to no avail.

Any ideas what to try next?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

What is the skin? Is it made up of images and the path(s) to the images have changed?
bill98

Post by bill98 »

No images, just a table format of data on 20 different stocks. Data comes from quote.com. I was rearranging the columns and making some updates. I can attach the skin if needed.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I guess that would be best. Let me take a look at it.
bill98

Post by bill98 »

The skin is in an attached zip file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Oh my...

I does display for me ok. It takes quite a while to load up the first time, as the hundreds of WebParser measures just bring my machine to its knees while it is first loading and when it refreshes.

I'm not sure why it's not showing up for you. What happens for you if you remove the DynamicWindowSize=1 and BackgroundMode=2 from [Rainmeter]? For me, I am getting a very strange situation where I get that blue background on my entire universe of screen. The entirety of both of my monitors, and as far as I can tell off into infinity to the right is now colored blue and everything is hidden behind that skin which expands endlessly. This may be one reason why it is tearing up all computer resources when it loads or refreshes. There has to be some (I can't spot it right off in 7,000 lines of code) meter that has a W or H or both setting, probably one or more of the ROUNDLINE meters, that is a calculation or formula that is causing the skin to be infinite in size.

As to the WindowX and WindowY, those don't go in the skin. Take them out of the skin in the [Rainmeter] section. Use RainBrowser, find the skin when it is loaded, and change the WindowX and WindowY to 0 there, under Skin Settings. Those settings are under the skin's config settings in Rainmeter.ini, not the skin's .ini file.
bill98

Post by bill98 »

jsmorley,

Thanks for your help!

Here is a history of what I have tried.

1. When I tried re-running this either Friday night or Saturday, I received some minor error messages, which I fixed. Funny thing is, they were only one at a time. I would fix one, refresh and receive another. Receiving error messages means it was trying to execute, but there was no display of the skin at all.

2. I tried changing the name of the folder and file, but it would not display when run. I replaced the script with a simple one that runs, using the same file name I sent you. It would not display.

3. I incorporated your suggestions:
a) Removing DynamicWindowSize, and BackGroundMode,
b) I removed all the lineMeters,
c) I removed many extra Webparser calls which were there to locate data stringindex numbers,
d) I have looked and looked for any meters with incorrect x-y-w-h coordinates which might be extending the blue background. I found none, bit I agree that something is extending that blue background. It was not like that before my latest round of changes. Before the display disappeared on me, the blue background was extending to the bottom of the screen where I noticed a blinking line, which made me think there was a line out of place. During a refresh, the blue color did not extend clear to the right-hand screen boundary.
e) The Rainmeter.ine skin in RainBrowser has the WindowsX and Y =0 statements.
None of these changes had any effect on the absent skin display.

4. I thought maybe the web page URL where I get the stock data, may have locked me out, so I tried another skin that queries the same URL and it worked fine.

I am fast running out of ideas. I even tried shortening the errant skin down to only one call to the source data web page, and it still wouldn't display.

I hope you have more ideas!