It is currently May 7th, 2024, 10:48 pm

Cannot install Rainmeter in Windows XP SP2

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
mikeKidLazy

Cannot install Rainmeter in Windows XP SP2

Post by mikeKidLazy »

Hello!

I am having a problem while trying to install Rainmeter (the 2.0 version) on Windows XP SP2 (32-bit). The program won't install because apparently I don't have the Visual C++ libraries installed. Or at least that's what the program says whenever I try to install it. But as I see in the Control Panel in Windows, I have the Visual C++ 2005 version (but it didn't work), so I've also downloaded and installed the Visual C++ 2010 version, however it still won't install. What should I do to make it work then? Do I need a specific type of .NET framework (I already have 2.0), or do I have to install the Service Pack 3 for Windows XP?

I would be grateful if anyond could tell me what to do...
Thanks in advance!
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Cannot install Rainmeter in Windows XP SP2

Post by jsmorley »

Try installing these first, make sure they install without error, then install Rainmeter

http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=46745#p46745
mikeKidLazy

Post by mikeKidLazy »

Ok, I'll give it a try and then post the results. But I have one more question though: is the .NET framework in any way "connected" with the Visual C++ libraries? I mean, do I need a specific .NET framework library to make the Visual C++ work? (by the way, the Visual C++ libraries from the link you've given me are exactly the same as mines). It's just for my personal knowledge, that's all.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

No, the .net stuff is purely to support plugins written in C#, like InputText. By default Rainmeter checks that you have at least 2.0 of the .net runtimes, but most computers will already have at least that if not 3.x or 4.x
mikeKidLazy

Post by mikeKidLazy »

Ok, the I should understand that the problem is with the Visual C++ libraries. When I try to install the program it requires me to install the V++. Since it doesn't prompt me to install the .NET framework it means that everything is fine here. But why doesn't it work with the V++ 2010 version then? I already have it... what I have now is exactly the one from the link.

It's curious, since the computer I'm using right now to make this post has Windows XP SP3 and absolutely no Visual C++ installed, and still Rainmeter installed without requiring anything else (the Internet connection wasn't even open during the installation). Is this because of the SP3 stuff?
Last edited by mikeKidLazy on April 25th, 2011, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Rainmeter 2.0 requires the Visual C++ 2008 runtime (whereas the Visual C++ 2010 runtime is required for Rainmeter 2.1 beta).

Grab the VC2008 runtime from http://rainmeter.net/redist/vcredist_x86.exe or http://rainmeter.net/redist/vcredist_x64.exe.
mikeKidLazy wrote:It's curious, since the computer I'm using right now to make this post has Windows XP SP3 and absolutely no Visual C++ installed, and still Rainmeter installed without requiring anything else (the Internet connection wasn't even open during the installation). Is this because of the SP3 stuff?
You probably had the required runtime already installed.
mikeKidLazy

Post by mikeKidLazy »

Ok, I got the x86 version - which I suppose it's for 32-bit. I'll try it and I'll post the results. Thanks, btw.
mikeKidLazy

Post by mikeKidLazy »

poiru wrote: You probably had the required runtime already installed.
Probably. What made me curious was the fact that in the Control Panel there is absolutely no entry of any Visual C++ runtime library. Interesting, anyway...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

poiru wrote:Rainmeter 2.0 requires the Visual C++ 2008 runtime (whereas the Visual C++ 2010 runtime is required for Rainmeter 2.1 beta).

Grab the VC2008 runtime from http://rainmeter.net/redist/vcredist_x86.exe or http://rainmeter.net/redist/vcredist_x64.exe.
You probably had the required runtime already installed.
Ah, yeah. My bad. It's the 2008 runtimes you need for the 2.0 release version of Rainmeter.
mikeKidLazy

Post by mikeKidLazy »

Problem solved. I installed the Visual C++ 2008 and the program finally installed with no problems or errors at all. Thanks a lot!