It is currently May 7th, 2024, 8:10 pm

Using Rainmeter to dim Brightness according to Battery Level

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
enethrie

Re: Using Rainmeter to dim Brightness according to Battery L

Post by enethrie »

The only one I downloaded was: http://lifehacker.com/#!5793269/vertical-shades-of-gray-desktop

So, anyways, for anyone reaching this post, be careful. I'm sure that the developers did not intend for this to happen but there is an exploit to the program (as many other software out there, as the helpful audience here have shared).

Viruses/Malware I have had to deal with: Windows Restore/Rescue Screen, audio commercials in the background playing, and browser default pages changed for searches, etc.

The Windows Restore/Rescue one made all my files on my system hidden, so don't panic if you feel it deleted all your files, it didn't. They just need to be re-set to unhidden. I used http://www.google.com/search?q=bleepingcomputer.com+malwarebytes&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a to get rid of the Windows Restore/Rescue one. P.S. I had to give you a Google link to the search results (it is the 1st) because if I click on it it goes to a strange website in FF. But I still was unable to get rid of the other virus/malware. I am having to restore my system from backup.

And, like these fellows suggest, be careful everywhere else too!
Falconer

Post by Falconer »

As much as I sympathize with your situation, frankly, you had to have downloaded another skin besides that one. If that skin had a virus problem, it is my impression that it would be all over the comments on both Lifehacker and on DeviantART.

Rainmeter has been having an issue with individuals uploading impostor versions of common skins with malware attached (follow the action on the Rainmeter deviantArt blog here: http://rainmeter.deviantart.com/blog/) Is it possible that you downloaded one of these fake skins and thus got infected?

As the other individuals in this thread have noted, you cannot blame a program of this nature for this sort of problem. Some individuals have clearly chosen to abuse the open nature of the internet and distribute viruses along with copies of popular skins - that is not the program's fault and the best we can do is to catch them as they pop-up and do our best to warn users and get them removed if we can. It is not an issue of an "exploit" in Rainmeter, as far as I know; it's a matter of malicious individuals using Rainmeter's good reputation to spread crap.

If you ever want to give the program another honest try, be sure to follow tips like those mentioned here http://rainmeter.net/cms/VirusWarning to ensure that you are downloading the original skin. ALSO, you can actually check links to individual files with this free online service http://www.virustotal.com/ which scans the link with multiple antivirus engines before you ever download anything.

Cheers. :)
enethrie

Post by enethrie »

This is my last post here....

I only (and I will say it only one more time) downloaded the skin from Lifehacker, and you are all totally right it is not the programmers fault and the openness of the web and applications are being exploited. Yet, I simply downloaded the program and added the skin found at Lifehacker (given, Lifehacker is not at fault either). But people shouldn't use programs that have such a malicious exploit, it's that simple. I am suggesting that my system was compromised after downloading these two combinations...

I would suggest people not use Firefox if Firefox Addons had the ability to execute third party code that have access to your files, etc. But, as of now, I have not had that experience; I trust that FF does not have that ability, and the second I find out it does grant access to my files I would suggest not using it just the same. But, you're all right, you can still use FF if it did have such exploits and just be "careful", but I wouldn't if it did and I wouldn't suggest it to others.

So, I am not disagreeing with any of the helpful commentators (or programmers) here about it being Rainmeter alone. And, I get that the application has the option to execute applications, etc, that can be hidden within the skin. But, something needs to be done about that, I would suggest not letting skins be installed that contain executable's within the skin? (And, hopefully they are working on that).

Again, if you want to take the risk of compromising your system by downloading this (as of now), go right ahead. But, if you are worried about compromising your system (as I am) heed my warning...
Falconer

Post by Falconer »

"I disagree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it." (Voltaire paraphrase, I believe.)

It's your computer and your software choices, so I won't drag this out. :)
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the software, but thank you for giving it a go.
Have a nice day, and may you and your computer live long and prosper. :welcome:
santa_ryan

Post by santa_ryan »

Sadly, after reading this entire thing, I honestly believe he had a timed release virus on his system before he installed rainmeter, and coincidently it activated after he was using rainmeter, or the virus could have activated after sensing a new program was registered as being installed. It wouldn't surprise me one bit, as I have dealt with these kind of viruses before. :(

(If of course he was telling the whole story and and only installed rainmeter/vertical shades of gray)
I have three rules when I'm trying to help you.
  • Don't get mad when you don't understand something
  • Be VERY specific with what you ask for.
    The more specific you are, the higher the quality of support you receive.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.
Jarhead

Post by Jarhead »

enethrie wrote:No, the developers of this project need to take down the program as long as there is a risk of getting a virus- even lay users can become victims just because of the exploit in it's skins. And, you are right, but that doesn't mean that Facebook, or Winamp, or anyone should leave a program up when it's skins (or third party apps) have an exploit to do what it did to my system (and others')- that's wrong too!
Why don't you f---ing shut down your modem and get safe from the scary viruses?

Also,
I would suggest people not use Firefox if Firefox Addons had the ability to execute third party code that have access to your files, etc. But, as of now, I have not had that experience; I trust that FF does not have that ability, and the second I find out it does grant access to my files I would suggest not using it just the same. But, you're all right, you can still use FF if it did have such exploits and just be "careful", but I wouldn't if it did and I wouldn't suggest it to others.
Yes it has that ability, but you won't find an addon exploiting it because mozilla is a great organization and it can afford paying people to check every single addon before approving and putting it online. I don't know if it's possible to download unapproved addons: if it is, try doing that and let's see how much time you'll need to find an infective one.

I apologize for the ot.

EDIT: oh neat, we get censorship on the f-word!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Jarhead wrote: Why don't you f---ing shut down your modem and get safe from the scary viruses?

I apologize for the ot.

EDIT: oh neat, we get censorship on the f-word!
Yes, and if you use it again on here, particularly in the context of a post that is hostile or picking a fight, you will get a week vacation from the forums.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

This entire thread is now off topic, and is locked.