It is currently May 7th, 2024, 8:16 pm

Using Rainmeter to dim Brightness according to Battery Level

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
enethrie

Using Rainmeter to dim Brightness according to Battery Level

Post by enethrie »

I was wondering if any of you could help me make this skin (which dims the display at lower battery levels) to not do it when on AC....

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=5
Author=enethrie

;Metadata added by RainBrowser
;http://rainmeter.net/cms/Rainmeter101-EditingSkins

[Metadata]
Name=
Config=
Description=
Instructions=
Version=
Tags=
License=
Variant=
Preview=

;End of added Metadata

[MeasureBattery]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\PowerPlugin.dll
PowerState=Percent

[MeasurePower]
Measure=Calc
Formula=100-MeasureBattery

[MeterRectangle]
Meter=Image
X=0
Y=0
W=#SCREENAREAWIDTH#
H=#SCREENAREAHEIGHT#
SolidColor=0,0,0,[MeasurePower]
DynamicVariables=2
Last edited by smurfier on November 24th, 2011, 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added code tags.
poiru
Developer

Re: Using Rainmeter to dim Brightness according to Battery L

Post by poiru »

If you have some sort of executable to do the task, you could do it with IfEqualAction/IfAboveAction/IfBelowAction.

By the way, Update=5 means redrawing the window 200 times per second. Might want to change that to something more reasonable (e.g. 1000 or once a second).
enethrie

Post by enethrie »

I've looked it up, still don't get how to use those (I tried already). And, yes, I know that number is low I was playing around with it because this is pretty much my first time using it...
enethrie

Post by enethrie »

DO not download this app, it has too many problems with viruses (I got one from a skin that was on lifehacker.com, I think). I removed the app, so nevermind....
Waldensamkeit

Post by Waldensamkeit »

Are you speaking of Rainmeter? If so, I hate to say it but that is a pretty naive and ignorant line of thought.
You could pretty much say the same thing about ANYTHING you would download from ANYWHERE.
You could download a winamp skin from winamp.com and get a virus... IF you don't know what you are doing.
You could download a driver for your new windows 7 upgrade from XP or Vista and become infected with a virus... IF you don't know what you are doing.
You could sign up for facebook and by simply logging in, you could become infected with a virus... IF you don't know what you are doing.
And finally, you could visit a forum and leave messages about the sky falling down because, in the end, you just simply don't know what you are doing.

Whenever you download/install/browse to...anything, you need to make sure you are informed, familiar with what it is you are working with and at least to the degree of understanding the nature of what that particular thing is, understand what it is you are talking about.
enethrie

Post by enethrie »

No, the developers of this project need to take down the program as long as there is a risk of getting a virus- even lay users can become victims just because of the exploit in it's skins. And, you are right, but that doesn't mean that Facebook, or Winamp, or anyone should leave a program up when it's skins (or third party apps) have an exploit to do what it did to my system (and others')- that's wrong too!
Waldensamkeit

Post by Waldensamkeit »

You're right, and by that line of thought we should probably start a movement to remove the entire internet since it would be "wrong" to leave it up considering the daunting amount of exploits contained within anything on the internet and the internet's ability itself to spread viruses.

Smartass comments aside i think the sheer number of people who have this "app" installed on their computers numbers in the hundreds of thousands. How would you, if you were one of the developers, go about removing the app from someone elses system.

Rainmeter is not reliant on anything outside of the users system in order to function. the only way to spread a vfirus through rainmeter is through a skin and the only way you would become infected by downloaded a skin is if you allow an .exe or some variant thereof to run.

Anyone with even the smallest amount of familiarity with rainmeter would know that beyond the .dll and the .ini there is no reason for any other file to be contained within a skin.

If you downloaded a skin that contained an .exe and you chose to allow it to run on your system causing you to become infected, then that was simply your choice, albeit ignorant and misinformed, you allowed that to happen not rainmeter or the developers of.

Even if they removed the site, deleted the code forever, that would not stop anyone from being able to spread a virus/malware or any other malicious file if they so chose to do so.
enethrie

Post by enethrie »

I did not download any .exe other than the rainmeter program.
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

Sorry to say - but your logic is horrible.
I could use your same arguement saying cars should not be made because they can cause accidents which hurt/kill people.
Or you shouldn't go to school because kids there might be sick who might get you sick.
Point being Rainmeter is not at fault that some users abuse this and use it as an opportunity to send out virus'.
As Waldensamkeit said as long as your informed about what you're doing you shouldn't have to worry about a virus from Rainmeter.

What skin did you download from LifeHacker then?
Last edited by JpsCrazy on April 22nd, 2011, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waldensamkeit

Post by Waldensamkeit »

I think I have had over a thousand virus alerts this month alone, some from rainmeter, some from applications I have stumbled upon because I play with rainmeter and some having nothing to do with rainmeter. Out of those thousand plus alerts, (and most of the time I just disable my AV so I can install whatever it is my AV keeps removing.) one was an actual virus and it infected my AV (Norton).

My Norton, surprisingly, quarantined itself, connected to the symantec server, deleted itself, reinstalled itself and then cleaned my system. Even if it lacked that capability, I can and have removed almost every virus I ever acquired before I obtained this version of Norton because I understand what it is I am doing when I am playing with such applications as rainmeter.

It is also because I use applications such as rainmeter that I have this understanding. You run the risk of this type of occurance whenever you use something that interacts with your system to such an extent as rainmeter does.

I do not mean to seem hostile here but I do take great offense to comments such as yours because they usually stem from not undertsanding what it is you are doing. It is very unfortunate that this happened to you. And even more so because it now, in your opinion seems to taint the idea of what rainmeter is.

Every alpha and beta version of rainmeter from 2.0 on that I have downloaded has been registered as a false positive with my Norton and while you are free to do as you wish and think as you think, I can assure you that there is nothing contained within rainmeter that is anything like malware or a virus.

When my Norton reports a virus it also tells me why. When it reported Rainmeter 2.0 and on as a virus it also told me that it had no reason for it and it was only doing so because it did not recognize the application.

When it comes down to it, it is merely a matter of understanding what it is you are working with and I say again, I am very sorry that this happened to you. Rainmeter is probably THE best thing I have stumbled upon in the past 10 years as far as my digital life is concerned.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that even though this was reported as a virus, your system was NOT infected. It was simply a false positive because your AV did not recognize the program and the nature of the program was just a little too similar to how certain malware/viruses function.

Your AV was doing it's job, unfortunately it was just being a little too paranoid