It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 11:24 am

Line Planner

Quote of the Day, To-Do List and other text-based skins
rezonance

Line Planner

Post by rezonance »

Good Day All,

I have been a Rainmeter user for a few months now and I absolutely love the program. Until recently I had been using the Enigma Notes skin to keep track of my weekly errands and assignments, however I desired something a bit more. Through the power of Lua that came with the recent release of Rainmeter 2.0 I was able to make myself a handy little planner to keep track of upcoming events.
Line Planner
Description and Instructions
Having been originally based within the Notes skin, Line Planner draws from the simplistic style to show what events are coming up next. Events can be added through an easy to understand in-skin option that can be accessed by clicking the Calendar icon in the top left corner of the skin. Events can be placed in any order, regardless of date, and will be displayed top down from today into the near future. Events are displayed next to their respective calendar and weekday date, with events occurring on the same day grouped together in an organized and clean manner. Events happening on the current day will have a slightly brighter box and a different colored text. Once an event has passed it will simply be ignored.

Available From:
DeviantArt
Customize.org
Also Attached Below

Some Fine Print
The calendar, back, and delete icon are loosely modified versions of Fatcow "Farm Fresh Icons." Certain scripts and functions provided by Rosetta Code. RainRGB developed by jsmorley. All other work is original. Feel free to tweak and edit the skin to your liking, adding in whatever features you feel are lacking. The Lua file is also quite well commented for easy exploration and modification. This skin's license is the standard Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 variant.

The skin and Lua file were also designed with possible future updates in mind. I can't guarantee there will be any future additions, but if one comes along the way the skin should be able to handle it graciously.

Known Issues
All resolved.

Change Log
Version 2.1, January 10
Line Planner_2.1.rmskin
  • Updated lua script to remove deprecated features
  • Updated lua script to fix bug in styles appearing where there should be none
Version 2.0, January 10
LinePlanner.rmskin
  • Added in-skin ability to add and remove events
  • Added in-skin ability to add and remove styles
  • Updated custom colors and font size editor
  • Removed unused tool tip help
Version 1.2, June 12
Attachment Removed. Sorry, but support has been dropped. If you'd like this version, feel free to contact the developer.
  • Added in-skin ability to set custom colors and font sizes for Calendar elements
  • Added in-skin ability to change calendar title and "Nothing Scheduled" text
  • With these additions, included additional skins and in-line tool tip help to guide user
Version 1.1-1, March 26
Attachment Removed. Sorry, but support has been dropped. If you'd like this version, feel free to contact the developer.
  • Patch to an error that occurred when blanks lines were in the Calendar file.
  • Improved "valid Calendar entry" detection when getting dates from Calendar file.
Version 1.1, March 25
Attachment Removed. Patch issued above resolving issues present in this version.
  • Features user-defined styles for events.
  • Message displayed when no events in list.
Version 1.0, March 10
LinePlanner.rmskin
  • Initial release. Fully functional planner.
  • May not work on newer Rainmeter versions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rezonance on July 29th, 2012, 8:08 pm, edited 14 times in total.
rezonance

Re: Line Planner

Post by rezonance »

A new version of Line Planner, 1.1, has been released! Now one can style their events to their liking, allowing one to highlight critical events and tone down less important items. Find out how to use the styling feature above.

Remember, copy and back up your Calendar.txt file before updating.
Lunacy

Post by Lunacy »

Version 1.1 breaks when it runs into a blank line in the text file - I think the previous version allowed them, though? Not sure if this is a bug or a feature :P
rezonance

Post by rezonance »

Lunacy wrote:Version 1.1 breaks when it runs into a blank line in the text file - I think the previous version allowed them, though? Not sure if this is a bug or a feature :P
Oh my, certainly a bug. Indeed the previous version handled them quite fine, but I changed the way calendar entries are validated. Thanks for the report; I'll try to resolve this issue immediately.

EDIT: Thank you very much for the bug report. A patch has been released, version 1.1-1, which fixes the error when blank lines are in the file. by way of fixing this error, a better system was implemented to check the validity of entries in the Calendar file, which should allow for more flexibility when entering dates, and also a better way to ignore comments.

Of course with any new implementation comes the possibility of errors, as was unfortunately witnessed earlier. This version was checked with a variety of badly formed entries without problem, but if one comes across another bug please report it. Thank you, and I hope you enjoy Line Planner.
santa_ryan

Post by santa_ryan »

rezonance wrote: Known Issues
There is a minor issue wherein Rainmeter may crash after the skin has been closed. This has only be reproduced a few times, and with multiple instances (the released version and my developmental copy) of the skin open simultaneously; this issue did not present when only one of the skins was open. Even after crash, restarting Rainmeter leads to stable performance. This issue will be looked into and should the bug be found and resolved a patch issued.
I think this issue is a problem with the execution of the lua script itself. I have the problem a lot as well when using lua. Rainmeter just randomly crashes sometimes when starting lua.
I have three rules when I'm trying to help you.
  • Don't get mad when you don't understand something
  • Be VERY specific with what you ask for.
    The more specific you are, the higher the quality of support you receive.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

santa_ryan wrote:Rainmeter just randomly crashes sometimes when starting lua.
I have NEVER had that problem using Lua with Rainmeter. And I experiment quite a lot with it.
The only time Rainmeter crashes with Lua is when the code is all messed up. And that is rare too, usually it just gives you an error in the About.

Having two instances of Rainmeter using the same skin - now that is more logical. Especially since it's a skin that Lua writes data to.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

santa_ryan wrote: I think this issue is a problem with the execution of the lua script itself. I have the problem a lot as well when using lua. Rainmeter just randomly crashes sometimes when starting lua.
Never happens unless you have an error in your script.
rezonance

Post by rezonance »

I have finally isolated the reason behind the crash:

When using the Script measure to run a Lua script, a required variable is TableName, which allows for each script to have it's own little unique environment to run in. As also stated in the definition of the variable on the Lua for Rainmeter page, this variable must be unique for all running skins. When running dual (or more) copies of Line Planner, however, these are not unique. So, when one skin closes, it likely flushes (or at least tampers in some way with) the same table that the other is also using, causing an error to be generated at some point in the program execution and to blow out all of Rainmeter.

Most would never encounter this error, because one really only needs one Line Planner skin open at a time. Otherwise, this error only pops up when one of the many skins is later closed. Nonetheless, I'll see if I can work in a way to make each new instance of the script have a little random number associated to it, though as previously stated this really shouldn't be a problem for anyone but myself or another developer working on the skin.
rezonance

Post by rezonance »

Hey all,

A new version of Line Planner, 1.2, has been released. This version includes an in-skin ability to change the colors and font size of all elements shown and displayed in Line Planner, as well as including an option for the user to change the "Coming Up Next ..." and "Nothing Scheduled" phrases. To help guide the user through these changes, additional help skins were added that explain what certain functions do. These pages can be accessed by clicking on "(?)" next to the configuration section headings.

To access the Configuration panel, right click or scroll wheel click on the Calendar icon. From there, select options from the given list. To return to a previous page or the event listing, click on the arrow. A tool tip was also added to the Calendar icon to briefly explain how to access the Configuration panel, and can also be turned off.

I find the Custom Color editor to be a nifty little addition to the skin, and personally recommend others to just give it a glance. As always, feel free to expand the code or use elements of it in your own work; I just ask for attribution. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy the new skin.

As always, if you find any bugs or problems, please alert me. I'll attempt to resolve them as quickly as is possible.
rezonance

Post by rezonance »

Line Planner version 2.0 has been released.

Lots of new changes in this version making it easier than ever before for anyone to use, even those unexposed to working with Rainmeter skin files. Add events completely within the skin and without having to open and edit a text file; just click the Calendar and "Add An Event." In the same manner, add custom event styles without having to delve into the inner workings of the skin file. Simply fill in what you want and add the style. No mess, no confusion.

As always, if you have any problem with the skin or come across any bugs, please let me know so we can sort it out as rapidly as possible. Otherwise, I certainly hope you enjoy!