It is currently May 4th, 2024, 3:58 am

Movie Theater Feed

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
JoBu

Movie Theater Feed

Post by JoBu »

So, I'm pretty new to all this, but I really love the application and the possibilities of what it can do - to that end, I thought of trying to build a feed reader that will parse out the local theater showtimes on a weekly basis.

I believe that google and sites like fandango generate a simple document that relates location and movies playing, times, etc. I haven't found anything like an rss feed for it (though I haven't looked too thoroughly) so I assume the answer is in parsing out the web document and metering it out simply... in that it's probably more data than an elegant desktop like mine wants. At any rate, that's what I'm going to try to work out for my first 'not stealing from everyone else and tweaking' skin build. ;P

Any tips, thoughts welcomed. Cheers all.

//JoBu
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Movie Theater Feed

Post by jsmorley »

Be very cautious about using a web site that does not provide an RSS feed of some kind. You certainly can "screen scrape" the HTML, but do be aware that web sites have a habit of changing, and your skin can then break and need to have some work done on the Regular Expression that parses it. Just something to keep in mind.
JoBu

Re: Movie Theater Feed

Post by JoBu »

Ah, will keep that in mind JS - thanks for the precaution.

Sorry about posting in the wrong spot, guess I was half hoping someone would just do it for me... lol. Cheers.