It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:41 pm

Standard Install Location For Third Party Apps

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
dragonmage
Developer

Standard Install Location For Third Party Apps

Post by dragonmage »

I propose that we install third party apps to a common folder, to make it easier for skinners to use them in their skins without having to have a copy of the same app in each skin folder.

The common folder I am leaning towards would be Rainmeter\Addons\ with each app included in it's own sub-folder within Addons.

The first app I am going to recommend for this standard is NirCmd from NirSoft.

Description: Taken from Nirsoft

NirCmd is a small command-line utility that allows you to do some useful tasks without displaying any user interface. By running NirCmd with simple command-line option, you can write and delete values and keys in the Registry, write values into INI file, dial to your internet account or connect to a VPN network, restart windows or shut down the computer, create shortcut to a file, change the created/modified date of a file, change your display settings, turn off your monitor, open the door of your CD-ROM drive, and more...

This app can perform a variety of useful functions, and will be able to do more if I get the developer to support relative paths to scripts.

With this installed to Rainmeter\Addons\NirCmd\ your path to use it in skins will be
!Execute [Addons\NirCmd\NirCmd.exe\ nircmdparametershere]

I am releasing a test skin for volume control, in the Skin Beta Testing forum.
sgtevmckay

Re: Standard Install Location For Third Party Apps

Post by sgtevmckay »

Nicccccce :D
The resurrection is coming along nicely, and the patient is recovering

Time to take Rainmeter to the next level :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

By the way, I asked Rainy to add #ADDONSPATH# to the standard global variables in Rainmeter for you. He did so, and it resolves to C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Addons (assuming you have Rainmeter in the default install location, but in any case \Addons under your Rainmeter program "home")
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Yes, I saw that. Good thinking.