It is currently May 7th, 2024, 6:29 pm

InputText Plugin Bug - Breaks if space in skin pathname

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
santa_ryan

InputText Plugin Bug - Breaks if space in skin pathname

Post by santa_ryan »

The InputText Plugin breaks and fails to work if there is any spaces in the skin pathname. So for instance,

C:\Users\Ryan\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\TotalControl works

while

C:\Users\Ryan\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Total Control fails to respond

This has been verified with multiple path names and locations.

Mind explaining why it does this, and if possible what workarounds there are (other then the obvious no spaces, as that would disrupt my folder hierarchy, require me to edit lots of files for the new path names, rename the folders, etc.)
I have three rules when I'm trying to help you.
  • Don't get mad when you don't understand something
  • Be VERY specific with what you ask for.
    The more specific you are, the higher the quality of support you receive.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.
Chewtoy

Re: InputText Plugin Bug - Breaks if space in skin pathname

Post by Chewtoy »

Use quotes. "path\to\something that\has a\space\in the\path\"
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yep, a space in a config name breaks it for sure. It has nothing to do with quotes in the code. The plugin raises an error in the log and dies.

Skins\MySkins\InputTextTest\InputText.ini is fine
Skins\MySkins\InputText Test\InputText.ini falis
Skins\My Skins\InputTextTest\InputText.ini falis

This is something the plugin author is going to have to look at for the next beta. In the meantime, as far as I know there is no alternative to just not using spaces in config names for skins where you want to use InputText. I never use spaces in config names, so I just never ran into this. I hate to say it, but even if it was fixed today, you are just not going to be able to stay with spaces in your folders under \Skins as a majority of users of your suite are going to be on 2.0 with the bug for a long time to come. We will be starting a 2.1 beta cycle soon, but it will be some time before you can insist folks use it. The only answer is to not use InputText, or change your folder names.

Hopefully you are using things like #CURRENTCONFIG#, #CURRENTPATH#, #ROOTCONFIGPATH# and such in your code and not hard coded config names or other paths, so changing \Skins\Total Control\ to \Skins\TotalControl\ shouldn't have too many ripple effects.

I'm glad you spotted this, but wish you had a month ago.. ;-)
santa_ryan

Post by santa_ryan »

I was exaggerating greatly when I said I was going to have to change a lot of stuff. Honestly, I just have to change the folder names and reload the configs. Only reason I was exaggerating was for any other skinner who would actually have to do this. (I pity the fool who hard codes everything)

However, im going to either change the spaces to an underscore, or just use CamelCase.

Oh well. I could always just do a rainmeter version check, and disable it if their not running the proper versions, or include the plugin as soon as the new release comes out so they arent forced to upgrade. Will a plugin from a future version of rainmeter work with an old version? Im assuming and hoping this is one of the many things of rainmeter that is backwards compatible.
Last edited by santa_ryan on February 14th, 2011, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I think the guys who actually know the code (I'm not one of them) have spotted the issue and we should have it corrected for 2.1. Things will indeed be backwards compatible.
santa_ryan

Post by santa_ryan »

Are the plugins open source, do they just get submitted precompiled and get checked for viruses before including them in rainmeter, or is it just up to the programmer?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

santa_ryan wrote:Are the plugins open source, do they just get submitted precompiled and get checked for viruses before including them in rainmeter, or is it just up to the programmer?
We compile them. None of them are just handed to us and included as is. The source code for all of them are in the Rainmeter code repository.
santa_ryan

Post by santa_ryan »

Cool, i'm learning C+ and so that will be a nice way to just look a plugins and see what does what. I learn a lot easier that way.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

santa_ryan wrote:Cool, i'm learning C+ and so that will be a nice way to just look a plugins and see what does what. I learn a lot easier that way.
http://code.google.com/p/rainmeter/wiki/Building