It is currently May 7th, 2024, 5:23 am

Portable Rainmeter and Dropbox

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
WandersFar

Portable Rainmeter and Dropbox

Post by WandersFar »

Hi,

I've been running Rainmeter portably from my Dropbox for some time now. (As per the directions in the manual, I've changed the name of Default.ini to Rainmeter.ini to achieve this.)

I've noticed that Rainmeter.ini is updated quite frequently and Dropbox appears to struggle with this. I'm using the same profile on multiple computers, and every time Rainmeter modifies the .ini file on one of these computers, Dropbox tries to update the .ini across all the others, as it should, but since those computers are also trying to modify the same file, numerous conflicted copies result.

The only part of Rainmeter.ini that seems to be updated so frequently is the [Statistics] section. Is there any way this could be turned off, so Dropbox won't create so many conflicted copies?

Alternatively, can I set my Rainmeter.ini to "read only" or otherwise modify it in some way so that it won't update so frequently? Or will this break Rainmeter?

Thanks for reading.
santa_ryan

Re: Portable Rainmeter and Dropbox

Post by santa_ryan »

In short... No (that i know of) to the first question of if it can be disabled

The rainmeter.ini is used as a database for installed skins and other items. It keeps track of where they are and the settings associated with them.

So that being said, if you dont change anything about the skins and their settings etc. then it might be safe to set it to read only. However, rainmeter might throw a fit cuz it cant update the file with statistics and other misc information. You can try it and see if it works?
I have three rules when I'm trying to help you.
  • Don't get mad when you don't understand something
  • Be VERY specific with what you ask for.
    The more specific you are, the higher the quality of support you receive.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.
WandersFar

Post by WandersFar »

I tried making Rainmeter.ini read only, and it works, but it throws an error at every startup complaining that it can't modify Rainmeter.ini.

So I guess the next question is: Is there any way to suppress this error?
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

WandersFar wrote:I tried making Rainmeter.ini read only, and it works, but it throws an error at every startup complaining that it can't modify Rainmeter.ini.

So I guess the next question is: Is there any way to suppress this error?
Here is a modified build of Rainmeter 1.4 r720 that suppresses the error. Perhaps something more official could be thought out for the future..
WandersFar

Post by WandersFar »

Just installed and tested out your new build, and it's working swimmingly. Thanks!