It is currently September 11th, 2024, 7:42 pm

Rainmeter app for the iphone and ipod touch?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
exotoa95

Rainmeter app for the iphone and ipod touch?

Post by exotoa95 »

Hey i was browsing through the topics on the forum and the thought hit me... how amazing would it be to have rainmeter for the ipod touch and iphone (and maybe even android?) So my question is, would this even be possible and if it was would people be interested in using it? I know there are several iOS "replacements" that are like rainmeter skins for the iphone and ipod touch, but they require jailbreaking in order to install and use (plus they cost money). I mean look at some of the popular games out there for the iphone, they gross thousands of dollars, if this is successful how much do you think rainmeter will grow in both popularity and in users? I dunno thats just my idea, any input?

-Bazerka
(ignore my user name)
-îsคค¢

"For art is what defines us, shapes us, without art who will be us?"
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Rainmeter app for the iphone and ipod touch?

Post by jsmorley »

Anything written for the iPhone or Android would be Rainemeter in name only. It would have to be completely re-written from scratch, and I'm not sure how much "Rainmeter-like" functionality you could get (or want) on a smart phone. The ways phones are locked down (rightly so for the most part) there may be very little added value an app like Rainmeter could bring. Might be a bit more useful on Andriod, but on iPhone there is no way Steve is going to let an app like Rainmeter poke around in the internals of the phone.
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

I have to agree with JSMorley - Rainmeter for iPhone sounds great in concept but in actuality it's kind of impractical.
Even if it was a jailbroken app either you'd need an app to open it which would be kind of pointless, or it'd be on the lockscreen.
Either way, there is very limited space, and there are apps, jailbroken or not, that can do what Rainmeter can do, only better, for the iPhone.
RSS, Mail, Weather, Time, etc, can be easily accesible on your lockscreen with apps like LockInfo and in ways Rainmeter cannot. Apps and such? SBSettings.

If you were to have Rainmeter for the iPhone, what would you have it do that it can do better than other apps already for the iPhone? Yeah, you can create your own skins with it, but in what way would they be better?
SSM

Post by SSM »

I know this is an old topic but rainmeter could be awesome for android. It would be an app that is used to create user configurable widgets. You could write a widget that would be like any rainmeter skin. You would also probably want to integrate it into tasker.
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

If someone wants to write a Rainmeter-esque clone for Android, iOS, Mac or Linux, then more power to them, as far as I'm concerned. But a direct port of Rainmeter to a non-Windows OS is simply not possible. It would have to be literally rewritten from scratch.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Kaelri wrote:If someone wants to write a Rainmeter-esque clone for Android, iOS, Mac or Linux, then more power to them, as far as I'm concerned. But a direct port of Rainmeter to a non-Windows OS is simply not possible. It would have to be literally rewritten from scratch.
And as it would be "Rainmeter" in name-only and we are not a commercial enterprise, I'm not sure I see the point.
JoBu

Post by JoBu »

I can see the allure... it's all about the widgets.

The new Android NDK includes tools to port C++ to Java and Dalvik.

Might be interesting. I'm giving it a go... see what kind of trouble I can get into. I'm not pushing anything beyond my desktop, but I'll let you know if anything comes of it.