It is currently September 19th, 2024, 10:36 pm

Resizing Skins?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
tofuman64

Resizing Skins?

Post by tofuman64 »

Hello All,

I just started using rainmeter, and i was fascinated by the Arcs skin. I was wondering if it is possible to re-size this or any other skin.
Thanks for your time.
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Resizing Skins?

Post by Alex2539 »

Not easily. You would need to manually edit the .ini file to change the W and H values, as well as any other size settings such as FontSize, LineLength, etc. It's possible, but it's a fair amount of work. If you're going to be heavily editing skins, then I suggest you click the links in my signature to learn more about it.
ImageImageImageImage
snowlion

Post by snowlion »

I hope some day a resize feature for any skin will be implemented in rainmeter
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

I don't know. This would only lead to blurry edges or unreadable text. Many skins are designed in one special size, and resizing them would make them look really ugly.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
snowlion

Post by snowlion »

MerlinTheRed wrote:I don't know. This would only lead to blurry edges or unreadable text. Many skins are designed in one special size, and resizing them would make them look really ugly.
Yes, I've noticed some problems with blurry edges in the resize function with xwidget although only on some skins, not all...

It would be good to have a universal resize function, at least that way we could use it on skins that are ok with it
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

There are ways. I've done it with my script, but it requires work mainly on the developer's end. (https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-vmK7nNkjE8NHdlVmV2bW1VYzA)

What I've done is made a script run when the program runs for the first time. It takes in your current resolution and adjusts all of the size values autonomously so the user doesn't have to. If you wanted to change ALL values manually to scale, it would require all size values to be assigned dependents, like...

fontsize=(14+#scalenumber#)
W=(25+(#scalenumber#*1.25)
H=(50+(#scalenumber#*1.25)

Where manually adjusting #scalenumber# would change all of these values. (default would be 0)
Droptop Four
Dropdown menu bar & app launcher for Windows & Rainmeter
CybOrSpasm

Post by CybOrSpasm »

But I don't see how that bypasses the fact that when you stretch a .png or a .jpg larger than the original, it is going to become distorted and look bad. You would have to make the images larger to begin with, then "shrink" them down in your .ini code with the W= and H= commands. But doing that still means manually editing the font sizes, line lengths etc, to fit. And also means you are using more system resources to load the "larger than you need" images in the first place.
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

CybOrSpasm wrote:But I don't see how that bypasses the fact that when you stretch a .png or a .jpg larger than the original, it is going to become distorted and look bad. You would have to make the images larger to begin with, then "shrink" them down in your .ini code with the W= and H= commands. ... And also means you are using more system resources to load the "larger than you need" images in the first place.
Well, that's true of all software with resizeable elements. The best solution is to pick a few standard sizes = typically 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, etc. - and have the program (the skin, in this case) intelligently "pick" which resolution to use based on the current skin size. This wouldn't be too difficult in Rainmeter, using a combination of Calc measures and variables in the image path options.
CybOrSpasm wrote:But doing that still means manually editing the font sizes, line lengths etc, to fit.
The method that Virginityrocks describes would require changing only a single variable. As he says, the main issue is that the burden is on the skin author to design the skin in such a way that each meter is sized and positioned according to the scaling variable. This is not a difficult task, just a time-consuming one.
jxoesneon

Post by jxoesneon »

How about using SVGs?