It is currently May 8th, 2024, 6:55 pm

Hover Issue

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
P2C

Hover Issue

Post by P2C »

As the title suggests, I'm having some issues with hovering in Rainmeter.
Everytime I hover over an element (tested with STRING and IMAGE, should be the same for others, I guess) that has a LeftMouseDown or Up action set and the "hand"-cursor appears, there's some weird (and kinda annoying) issues with the mouse pointer.

It just doesn't seem to stay a hand. It seems to me that it's changing between hand-cursor and normal cursor, though this happens so fast, I can't 100% say it's really changing to a normal cursor. It just looks weird and it's kinda annoying :D

I'm running Rainmeter 1.4 rev687 64-bit on a Windows 7 machine. If I remember correctly, this "bug" has been there since rev676 (or something ... at least the beta before the one I'm running currently). Have never experienced it with any version before.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Hover Issue

Post by jsmorley »

The thing I would look at is how "solid" the image or string is. By that I mean that if you have a string meter like:

TEST

Then only if the cursor is actually on the text of the T/E/S/T will the cursor change to the hand. When you are on the blank areas in and around the text, it will change to normal. This is also true of .png image meters that have "transparent" areas. This can be solved by putting:

SolidColor=0,0,0,1

On the meter (text or image, both work), which will create an invisible but "solid" background behind the meter, so you won't get that annoying "off, on, off, on" effect if you move the mouse a few pixels while pointing at the meter.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

I can reproduce this, solid images and no mouse movement. I thought at first it might be happening on each Update, but that does not appear to be the case.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yeah, I see it now. It certainly is not every update, and in fact I can't really spot a pattern at all. If I just leave the mouse sitting hovering over an image on a very simple skin like:

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000

[MeterImage]
Meter=Image
ImageName=computer.png
LeftMouseUpAction=!RainmeterRefresh

It will "flicker" (presumably between hand and normal, but it's so fast I can't really tell) on what appear to be random occasions.

Edit: It doesn't seem to do it if it is the only skin running, so I have to believe that it is caused by some kind of update to another skin that is causing a global "redraw" of some kind, and the redraw is causing the image to "not be there" for just an instant.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

I get the flicker only when I move the cursor.
spx
Developer

Post by spx »

Try this:
dll_CursorFix.zip
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Seems to fix it for me spx...