It is currently May 8th, 2024, 4:49 pm

Hotkey to hide rainmeter?

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
fediafedia

Hotkey to hide rainmeter?

Post by fediafedia »

I received a suggestion from a omnimo user which i think would be quite neato:

Toggling rainmeter on and off with a keyboard shortcut, perhaps even combining that with the show desktop icons command to have a full-desktop rainmeter mode, and classic desktop mode. It would be even better if it supported some sort of hide\show animation, like slide out\in. If rainmeter can be hidden by pressing the desktop icon, can't it be modified to be hidden with a shortcut? But of course, not in a way where it would immediately restore once you open any window.
poiru
Developer

Re: Hotkey to hide rainmeter?

Post by poiru »

You can use the "!RainmeterToggle *" bang.
fediafedia

Post by fediafedia »

I mean everything on the desktop. Not just one config.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

fediafedia wrote:I mean everything on the desktop. Not just one config.
Did you notice the asterisk?

!RainmeterToggle * OR !RainmeterToggleFade *
-> Toggles all configs

!RainmeterToggle "Config" OR !RainmeterToggleFade "Config"
-> Toggles one config

You can also use !RainmeterHide * and RainmeterShow * to force (instead of toggle).
fediafedia

Post by fediafedia »

Wow, nice, I thought the * meant like a specific config or something. Now all it needs is a hotkey, kinda like the Dasboard or Yahoo Widgets have F11.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

fediafedia wrote:Wow, nice, I thought the * meant like a specific config or something. Now all it needs is a hotkey, kinda like the Dasboard or Yahoo Widgets have F11.
Just set up an autohotkey that sends the bang to Rainmeter.exe when you hit whatever key you like.

I would be opposed to adding hotkey capabilities to Rainmeter. Rainmeter would have to have "focus" anyway to work right, or we would have to "take over" the overall function of a key combination in Windows, and I hate that.
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

I wouldn't mind it at all, actually. I'd definitely place restrictions, though - for one, I'd require that hotkeys be defined in Rainmeter.ini. I wouldn't want a user to find that a dozen different skins were setting five hotkeys apiece. That's not only an annoyance, but a security risk. We could also consider limiting it to key combinations with Shift, Alt, Ctrl and Win prefixes, as is done by other windowless utilities like Launchy.

But I do think that some basic global hotkey functionality would tie in very nicely with the way Rainmeter is used, as does, for example, DesktopWorkArea.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

There are Addons that could be used to handle hotkeys and make it a user preference.
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

dragonmage wrote:There are Addons that could be used to handle hotkeys and make it a user preference.
Well, if we did that, the addons would have to be running permanently in order to detect hotkeys, in which case they wouldn't have much advantage over an autonomous Autohotkey or AutoIt tray utility.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

True, but if we start adding hotkey support for Rainmeter then users are going to start constantly requesting new builtin commands for things like system volume, controlling media players, etc. I think it's a much better idea to have users use an existing hotkey program that has it's own feature set and developer and we just provide information on using it with Rainmeter.