It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 11:32 am

Please install a Font Explorer!

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
LovinRainmeter

Please install a Font Explorer!

Post by LovinRainmeter »

Hi all.

I love using Rainmeter on my desktop and have made a few skins for personal use. However it can be very frustrating after finally finding the right font, only to find Rainmeter won't load it! Because fonts always have different names and styles etc, it is damn near impossible to find the correct way of writing the font name in the config. :???:

For example, some fonts require "Std" or something at the end in order for Rainmeter to pick up on it.

So my suggestion is, please install some kind of font explorer! It doesn't have to be complicated at all, it just needs to list all installed fonts compatible with Rainmeter and how they should be written in the .ini for Rainmeter to pick up on it successfully.

Thanks for your time. :)
poiru
Developer

Re: Please install a Font Explorer!

Post by poiru »

If you're on Windows 7 (and perhaps Windows Vista as well?), just open Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Fonts and you'll see the list of fonts with their proper names.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

On XP ( not sure about Vista/7 ) just hit Win+R, type "charmap", hit Enter.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Although some kind of addon, that actually internally tests each install font somehow, and lists the ones "compatible" with Rainmeter is not a bad idea. Probably not something we would build in, but something a user could download and run when they want to see if a particular font is going to work, and what "family name" Rainmeter is looking for.

Might have to be in C++, so we could use exactly the same routines Rainmeter is using when it loads fonts.

Just thinking out loud here...
LovinRainmeter

Post by LovinRainmeter »

jsmorley wrote:Although some kind of addon, that actually internally tests each install font somehow, and lists the ones "compatible" with Rainmeter is not a bad idea. Probably not something we would build in, but something a user could download and run when they want to see if a particular font is going to work, and what "family name" Rainmeter is looking for.

Might have to be in C++, so we could use exactly the same routines Rainmeter is using when it loads fonts.

Just thinking out loud here...
Yeah just a list or something along those lines is what I was thinking of.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Ask and ye shall receive...

Introducing RainFont