It is currently September 14th, 2024, 10:05 pm

How to do..Multiple things? (2 questions asked)

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
ARCmoogle

How to do..Multiple things? (2 questions asked)

Post by ARCmoogle »

Ok so i just started using rainmeter about 2 days ago and really like it, but it all seems so confusing to me and id like to know how to do a few things, such as add a shortcut to the toolbar of rainmeter IF its possible to do so with other programs (such as Minecraft) And second i was wondering if at all possible how to get my desktop to look like the pictures at the bottom. And yea i know it tells me howto install the things on that site but i just don't understand even that. I'd appreciate a more detailed explenation on how to do this stuff. I'm not to smart with this whole thing. Iv read a few other posts on the forum and understood NOTHING about it, i didn't really look for anything in the forums like my own so I'm sorry if i just re-posted something.

Last edited by jsmorley on October 7th, 2010, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to use [hsimg][/hsimg] for large images
Aarowaim

Re: How to do..Multiple things? (2 questions asked)

Post by Aarowaim »

Ok, so from what I understood, you want to learn a bit about making skins and how to recreate some desktops that have been made from rainmeter. I can help you to learn to make a skin, but to do this, I need to know what part of the other posts that you did not understand.
If you do not understand what meters, measures and variables are, please read up about these @
http://rainmeter.net/cms/Rainmeter101-EditingSkins

After reading that or understanding what a skin is made of, I can help you to learn how to make/edit/install skins.
Now, to install a skin, you need to unzip any .zip or .rar files and place the contents into the rainmeter skins folder.
When you install rainmeter, it should place the skins folder at My Documents\Rainmeter\Skins

If you want a skin to load, you must place it in a new folder in the skins folder. For example, if you wanted to install a skin called simple sentence, you would first go to your skins folder, right-click and New Folder. Now name the folder whatever you think will help you remember what skin it is. Then place all of the simple sentence skin files into the folder you just made. For example, it might be in My Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\SimpleSentence.

You understand all of this right? If you have any questions, please ask so that I know what you do not understand and I may clarify.

Next, after succesfully installing a skin, you can start modifying skins. In order to do this, you MUST have a program like notepad.
To edit skins, open the .ini file with notepad. and you should see text that starts with [Rainmeter].
Now, most people put the customizable information under the [Variables] section so that you do not have to hunt for the settings.
First off, I would recommend trying to find where they have the shortcut path.

Before I finish with this editing tutorial, I would like to know what skin you are editing so that I can work along with you and provide accurate information.
Away for a while :(
Programming isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle choice.
[url=http://www.rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=1207][b]T34M V.1.5.0.|2[/b][/url] <----I'ts l33t, look it up

Coding Skills: [color=#00FFFF]4.5[/color]
Answering Skills: [color=#00FFFF]4[/color]
Image Editing: [color=#00FFFF]3[/color]
Knowledge: [color=#00FFFF]4.5[/color]
Technical Skills: [color=#00FFFF]3[/color]
ARCmoogle

Post by ARCmoogle »

Dark_Rainmeter<---thats the one (edit)
Aarowaim

Post by Aarowaim »

Well, I can't find a shortcut bar in Dark_Rainmeter, so I will assume that either I didn't look hard enough, or Dark_Rainmeter does not have one. I'll have to settle with using The enigma launcher 1 to demonstrate skin editing.

Editing a skin (the skin I'm editing is underneath these steps).

STEP 1: Find the meters and measures that control what you are editing the skin for. In this case, we want to find the meters and measures that activate a shortcut. This skin doesn't have any measures, so next we'll look at the meters. Notice how one of the has a LeftMouseUpAction?

This means that when you finish your click, it will do whatever it says there. Do you see the part (I've turned it red for you) that says ["#App1Path#"]? This means that it will activate the variable AppPath1. Let's look for the variable AppPath1.

...O, look it isn't there, but under the variables section it says @include (which means that it reads data from whatever file is mentioned). Let's find the file that has all the variables. (I have the contents of that file in the spoiler and the AppPath1 is highlighted red).

Now that we know where it activates the shortcut, we can make a copy of the skin and change the shortcut.

STEP 2: Edit your skin
Since we are making a new shortcut, copy the skin we are editing. Now, let's add our own variables for the new shortcut (I highlighted the new variable I added in blue). Also, please note that you have to find the path to the program. If you use windows, you can find the path in windows explorer's address bar. Please also understand that you need to add the .exe file into the path or else it'll just open a file explorer window to that path.

So, let's say that I want to add a rainmeter shortcut, I would find the path to rainmeter.exe (On my computer, it's
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rainmeter) and then add \rainmeter.exe (the file I want to open).
So, I end up with "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rainmeter\rainmeter.exe" (I added quotation marks because the path has spaces in it's name. If you do not add the quotation marks, rainmeter will not read the path properly).

STEP 3: Trouble-shoot.
If I were to run the updated version of this skin, it wouldn't open rainmeter. The reason for this is that I forgot to change all the #App1#
#App1Label#
and #App1Path#
into #App6# #App6Label# and #App6Path#.

This is why it is so important to troubleshoot. Sometimes you'll forget to make sure that you finished updating EVERYTHING that uses what you changed, e.g variables, meters, measures.
If you changed the name of any measures, please make sure that you tell all the other meters, measures and variables that you changed it.

NOTE: The below spoilers are the skin I used to help teach, they are not completed as per the above tutorial.
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; ENIGMA LAUNCHER (1)
; Class: Normal

[Rainmeter]
Author=Kaelri.LCD@gmail.com
AppVersion=1001000
Update=1000
MiddleMouseDownAction=!RainmeterActivateConfig #CURRENTCONFIG# Launcher1-Mini.ini

[Metadata]
Name=Enigma Launcher (1)
Config=Enigma | Taskbar | Launcher | Launcher1
Description=A text button that launches one of your chosen favorite applications or URLs when clicked.
Instructions=Click and drag by the label to move this skin. | Set "App1" as the name of the application as it appears. | Set "App1Path" as the location of the app on your computer. | Set "App1Label" as a short description or subtitle for the app.
Version=2.7
Tags=Taskbar | Launcher
License=Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 3.0
Preview=#SKINSPATH#Enigma\Resources\Images\Preview.png
Credits=Inspired by the gorgeously cohesive and minimalist desktops of nh0j.

[Variables]
@include=#SKINSPATH#Enigma\Resources\Variables\UserVariables.inc
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; STYLES

@include2=#SKINSPATH#Enigma\Resources\Styles\StyleTaskbar.inc

; METERS

[Background]
Meter=Image
MeterStyle=StyleBackground

[App]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleText
Text="#App1#"
X=60
LeftMouseDownAction=!Execute [!RainmeterShowMeter AppActive][!RainmeterHideMeter App][!RainmeterRedraw]

[AppActive]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleText
Text="#App1#"
X=60
FontColor=#ColorActive#
Hidden=1
LeftMouseUpAction=!Execute ["#App1Path#"][!RainmeterHideMeter AppActive][!RainmeterShowMeter App][!RainmeterRedraw]

[Label]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleLabel
Text="#App1Label#"
X=60
I had to move the variables over here.
[Variables]
WeatherCode=CAXX0126
Unit=c
GoogleCalendar=YourCalendarAddressHere
GmailUsername=YourUsernameHere
GmailPassword=YourPasswordHere
TwitterUsername=YourUsernameHere
TwitterPassword=YourPasswordHere
Atom=http://www.xkcd.com/atom.xml
RSS1=http://news.google.com/news?pz=1&ned=us&hl=en&topic=h&num=10&output=rss
RSS2=http://liquidcrystaldiscourse.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss
RSS3=http://feeds.gawker.com/lifehacker/excerpts.xml
Drive1=C
Drive2=E
Drive3=F
NetworkMaxDownload=1000000
NetworkMaxUpload=500000
NoteHeight=300
ReaderInterval=30
SidebarSpacing=33
World1WeatherCode=
World2WeatherCode=
World3WeatherCode=
App1=iTunes
App1Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\itunes.exe
App1Label=PLAYER
App2=Picasa
App2Path=C:\Program Files\Google\Picasa3\Picasa3.exe
App2Label=PHOTOS
App3=Internet Explorer
App3Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
App3Label=NET
App4=Notepad
App4Path=notepad.exe
App4Label=TEXT
App5=Ventrilo
App5Path=C:\Program Files\Ventrilo\Ventrilo.exe (XD Yes, if you noticed, I changed the chat program earlier)
App5Label=CHAT
App6=Rainmeter
App6Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Rainmeter\rainmeter.exe
App6Label=Resource Meter

Color1=200, 200, 200, 255
Color2=255, 255, 255, 160
Color3=255, 255, 255, 80
ColorActive=128, 192, 255, 217
ColorBorder=192, 192, 192, 128
ColorIcon=W
ColorUpload=128, 192, 255, 160
ColorDownload=#Color2#
;ColorDownload=158, 255, 207, 160
Height1=10
Height2=7
Height3=8
Height4=9
Font=Trebuchet MS
SubstituteFeed="&apos;":"'",""":"","&Quot;":"","&":"&","<br>":"","![CDATA[":"","]]":"","...":"","<":"",">":"","/PRE>":"","PRE>":"","<":"","'":"'","&#228;":"ä","&#246;":"ö","&#8211;":"–"
SubstituteLink="&":"&","<![CDATA[":"","]]>":""
RTMusername=YourUsernameHere
RTMpassword=YourPasswordHere
RTMlistID1=First RTM List ID.
SidebarTransparency=150
World1DSTOffset=0
World2DSTOffset=0
World3DSTOffset=0
SidebarColor=
Last edited by Aarowaim on October 9th, 2010, 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://www.rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=1207][b]T34M V.1.5.0.|2[/b][/url] <----I'ts l33t, look it up

jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You could use http://jsmorley.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2wun7p which is the successor to the Dark_Rainmeter stuff and does include a launcher skin.
Aarowaim

Post by Aarowaim »

Thank you jsmorley :D .
Anyway, if you want to find out what they used in a screenshot, I use a website called tineye.com that can usually find the wallpaper used (won't work if the wallpaper is crowded with skins in the screenshot.)
The hardest part is sometimes finding out what skins they used, but you can usually find out by asking on this forum.

For example, using tineye.com and my knowledge, I know that the first screenshot consists of:
Wallpaper=http://lh3.ggpht.com/_lh9CPFcbU94/RrJJdlKuRyI/AAAAAAAAAFo/0eEZ6GXLJXk/nps2vm.jpg

Skins
  • Enigma\Sidebar\Reader\Reader.ini
    Dark_Rainmeter\TimeDate\DateTime.ini
    and a launcher skin that I haven't seen before.