It is currently May 18th, 2024, 3:18 am

Beginner needing help

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Opi8

Beginner needing help

Post by Opi8 »

Hey, I could've sworn I already posted this and bookmarked it, but my bookmark just brings me to "post a new topic" so I'll try once more.
Basically, I'm new to the forum and rainmeter, and need some help.
I am having trouble finding a BASIC tutorial on how to use and customize rainmeter (I think I will use enigma, as opposed to gnometer). For starters, I wanna learn how to do things such as:
Change music player from iTunes to Zune, add simple sentence and customize it, change gmail to hotmail, etc... for now I would like to start with those, so I can get an idea of how things work (because at the moment the only thing I see in settings is the notepad, and I don't know what any of those values are, I tried to add my weather code to it but don't know where to put it, and don't even know where the weather displays.)
Also, if possible, I would like to get rid of my taskbar altogether and just have a nice transparent dock with "token icons" (just a package I got with a really nice style of icons), and docks / sidebars and such 100% transparent for the most part. Would like to keep things very customized, but really neat and clean and have little to no things really BLOCKING the wallpaper (I wouldn't mind it, but I can't settle on just one paper so I have a slideshow of a bunch of great ones, so it would be difficult to make my layout match backgrounds unless it's possible to have it change depending on background or certain conditions (like for example, on a monday, display a background of garfield saying "I hate mondays", or if it's raining display a background of a storm, etc...)
So, I know that's a long read, but any help is greatly appreciated. Oh, and I don't necessarily just want answers to these questions, a complete noob tutorial would be great too.
Thanks in advance!
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Beginner needing help

Post by jsmorley »

Opi8

Re: Beginner needing help

Post by Opi8 »

Thank you very much for those links, they have been just what I needed to get me started off. I have only just begun trying to set things up now, and have decided to go with Gnometer for now (although, I don't think it matters what you pick, does it? Both enigma and gnometer can run the same skins, it's just a different preset for bars and they have their own different built in skins. I'm assuming that is the case, is it?).
So, currently I have managed to set up the facebook feed (was simple enough), and the network (how many GB uploaded and downloaded). I am going to try not to load on the questions like i did before, so that they can be answered individually:

Currently:
1) I would like to know how I could go about switching the uploaded line with the downloaded line, as for me downloads are more important and I would like that to appear on top. I know how to change where the actual phrases "you have downloaded/uploaded" appear, but the lines (moving graph things) themselves don't both have Y values, so I don't know how I can switch those.
2) I use hotmail as opposed to Gmail and such, is there a skin for hotmail that maybe also shows new emails (not necessary, even just a shortcut to open hotmail would be great)

Those are my 4 current things that I want to get set up. Please, when replying, do so by doing for example: "For question #), yada yada". I know that my first post had a large load of questions, so it made sense to link me the tutorials, and for that I'm greatful, but for this post please just try to answer any of the individual questions.

Thanks in advance for any help :D

edit: sorry sorry sorry, i forgot to ask if it's possible to have something like say the facebook skin, which would be a link to something like me GEF (game folder on windows 7), with or without a pop up which shows the contents of folder (or if it's possible to put shortcuts of things like .exe's)
editx2: i removed some questions that i figured out, and as for the first edit, I am basically just looking for something to substitute as a dock, one that has features such as popup. I found the "Applications" and "Folder" skins, but don't know how to change what they link to and the folder one doesn't have popup, though i coulda sworn I saw a picture of someones set up that had it, dunno if it was a dock or not)