It is currently April 27th, 2024, 3:53 am

"Sidebar" Always On Top

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
butter_milch

"Sidebar" Always On Top

Post by butter_milch »

Hi,

I'm new to Rainmeter but before I try anything I want to make sure that this feature can be implemented.

As you can see Firefox is maximized but the sidebar is still visible because I activated "Always On Top". This is very important for me because I always want to be able to access the progams on my PC without having to return to my Desktop.

Setting AlwaysOnTop to 1 does not result in the effect I whish to achieve.

So is there any way to keep programs from covering the whole screen? The idea is to simply keep some space free on the right side of the screen.
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Re: "Sidebar" Always On Top

Post by Alex2539 »

You can do this by adding the DesktopWorkArea to your Rainmeter.ini file. Right-click the tray icon and choose "Edit Settings". There, add the line "DesktopWorkArea=0, 0, 1290, 870" under the [Rainmeter] section. Save the file and restart Rainmeter. If you have any windows already maximized, you may need to restore them then maximize them again for it to take effect on those windows.

The numbers represent the corners of the "Box" that maximized windows will sit in. In this case, the box will start at the top-left of the screen, which is at coordinates (0,0) and it will go all the way down to where the taskbar and sidebar meet, which is as coordinates (1290, 870).

Also, if you do anything that affects the size of the work area in windows, such as changing the resolution or resizing the taskbar, the work area will reset to whatever Windows says it should be. To fix it, simply restart Rainmeter or, if you're running the 1.3 beta, right-click the tray icon and choose "Refresh All".
ImageImageImageImage
butter_milch

Post by butter_milch »

Thank you. It's just what I wanted :)
BLDBTCHZ

Post by BLDBTCHZ »

Can you help me with setting this up on dual monitors? this is my current res 2464 x 900 on dual different sized monitors - one is at 1440x900 one at 1024x768 and i want the sidebar on the far right of my right hand, secondary monitor, about 150Px wide.
i've been trying all sorts of co-ordinates

DesktopWorkArea=2464, 870, 2314, 870
DesktopWorkArea=2314, 870, 2464, 870

i'm assuming this is correct?

effectively i want my rainmeter to act the same way google desktop (Ughhhhh) does. snapping windows to the side of it