It is currently April 26th, 2024, 10:25 am

Average Color?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
smurfier

Average Color?

Post by smurfier »

Thanks to a recent idea I now find myself asking, is it possible to average two colors together using Rainmeter to receive the proper color? Another words, can I take Red and Blue, average them together and get purple? With those two colors yes. But what about Yellow and Blue to get Green? Apparently not so easy.
Any ideas?
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Average Color?

Post by Alex2539 »

The problem is that you're thinking about it in the wrong way. When you see an RGB colour scheme, it's based on light and, as such, uses the additive colour model. This means that when you add colours together, they get brighter. Red and green make yellow, green and blue make cyan, red and blue make magenta and all of them together make white. Adding blue to yellow to get green would be using the subtractive colour model. This is the model used when mixing paints and dyes. Adding colours together will give a darker colour rather than a lighter one. Here, yellow and blue make green, red and yellow make orange, red and blue make purple and all of them together make black.

There is very likely a way to calculate subtractive colour combinations. I don't have the time to look into it right now, but later tonight I'll do some Googling to see if I can figure out a way.
ImageImageImageImage