It is currently May 24th, 2024, 5:10 am

New Wifi Status Plugin

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
sgtevmckay

Re: New Wifi Status Plugin

Post by sgtevmckay »

Ok

Final notes, unless otherwise requested (and do not hesitate to ask if there are)

On the list. I find the clustering to be awful tithgt, and there are a lot of undescores and the like. the text seperation and text line seperation could use some work

i fear that you are limited by the program in this respect, and if that is the case. so be it.

I have overcome some of these limitations by using Substitutions, but you must be careful as ere are a lot of "commons" that you will not want to change.

Let me know if you require anything further, otherwise I shall continue testing as usual :D
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

I haven't tried this out, since I don't have a wireless network, but I'm curious about how you got Rainmeter to display the list with line breaks. I'm wondering if it might be possible for elestel to do the same with the iTunes playlist, in the plugin he's been working on.
GhostMatrix
Rainmeter Sage
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada 45.5658°N, 73.5898°W UTC -5

Post by GhostMatrix »

I haven't tried this out as well ... since the wireless network is not installed yet (still waiting after my brother :roll: )
But I'm waiting with anticipation to be able to use it.

To all of you ... Great work!

... and this post give me the opportunity to refresh the thread! :P

GM
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 0.1

nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

@sgt: i may be able to add another setting that allows you to chose between different ways of formatting the list.

@dragonmage: for the line breaks i simply added a '\n' between each network name. The whole list is just one big string with the linebreaks in it.

One thing i still need to change is allocate this string on the heap, because if someone has more than 10 networks the string will overflow :lol:
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Maybe the iTunes COM just doesn't return the list as one long string.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

nvme wrote:@sgt: i may be able to add another setting that allows you to chose between different ways of formatting the list.
:D :D :D :D :D
One thing i still need to change is allocate this string on the heap, because if someone has more than 10 networks the string will overflow :lol:
Ok, That answer's that question.
Something to consider, and of course I am unaware of the possibility.
Can you limit the amount of returns to the "List", based on signal strength?

I have found that the account you are signed into remains at the top of the list, but I also noticed the list rotates(?) as I move around, so it is my feeling that the strongest signal gets moved to the top of the "Lists) by default 8-)

Although the following is not so much an issue as an inconvenience.
Since I do not know the programing lingo, I will just explain the issue

For BANG(s) in programming the skins in Rainmeter, I have the first skin fools, by attaching a BANG to the "Quality" Measure.
But for the "List" Measure this will not work.
My second skin is a single Measure of "List" and the following does not work with:

Code: Select all

IfBelowValue=1
IfBelowAction=!execute *****
IfAboveValue=0
IfAboveAction=!execute ******
So to my question, is there a way to add a "0" if there is no signal detected and "1" if there is; to the "List" Measure?
Or
Is there a way to create a "detected" that has nothing more than "0" if there is no signal, and a "1" if there is?

I think this would help facilitate skinning.

I hope I have not created more confusion :D
Chaos_Reign

Post by Chaos_Reign »

nvme wrote:@Chaos_Reign: How did you check out the new layout if it didnt work lol :shock:
When you have stared at as much code as I have, you start to see what it looks like, before it is complete or Implemented.

I am sorry for the latness in my findings on this plugin and skin.
I wished to run a thororugh test cycle(s) Across several machines, conditions, and environments

Plugin tested in:
XP Home, XP Pro, Vista Ultimate (32bit), Vista Preminum (64bit), 7 RC1 (32 & 64 bit)

Findings:
802.11 standards accounted for, to include:
802.11 - h, j, r, and y
Verified

Encryptions:
Open/None, WEP, WEP2, WEP+ (Plus), WPA, WPA2, WPA_Enterprise
verified

Security Algorithm verififcation:
AES, 40, 104, none
Verified

Notes:
The return time in the skin almost does not allow you to catch, or anticipate, a connecting statment (This is not and issue).
The list is cluttered.
There appears to be some minor anomylus listings when WiFi is truned off, and then immediately backon again (A simple refresh corrects this).
Lack of Maximum Bandwidth reading (Unknown how sgtevmckay accomplished this in his skin)

Stability verified:
Test run for 36 hours straight. No increase in system resources. No Crash of Skin or Rainmeter.
No further "refresh" crash since last Plug-in Build.
Using the windows Task Manager I set up a situation that refreshed/restarted Rainmeter every 5 minutes for 18 hours. I experienced no problems.
Ran numerous refreshes on and off for approximately 6 hours; no issues derived.
Increasing and/or decreasing Update time had no direct effect on the stability of the skin.

There is more, but it gets heavily technical and irrelevant to the overall needs/advancement of this Plug-in.

If you require anything further, I will be available :twisted:
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Lack of Maximum Bandwidth reading (Unknown how SGT. E. V. McKay accomplished this in his skin)
I cheated ;)

Code: Select all

[mBandwidth]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\WifiStatus.dll
WifiInfoType=PHY
WifiIntfID=0
Substitute="802.11a":"54Mbs","802.11b":"11Mbs","802.11g":"54Mbs", "802.11n":"144Mbs"
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

@sgt, chaos: thanks for all the testing and suggestions. i will put up a new build tomorrow with some of the things you have requested, they should be very simple to add.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

nvme...

I wonder if I could get you do do a little "write up" on this plugin, so I can add it to the new RainWiki. (http://uzaclan.com/RainWiki)

Just some thing like:

Overview / Description:

Usage instructions and parameters:

Any limitations or "gotchas":

A link to the latest and greatest version, and maybe a screenshot of a simple skin using it, and attach a .zip file with the skin or put the .ini in "code" BBCodes. (if you have done one, if not maybe we can use the work Sgt. has done.)

I would like to add this excellent plugin to the Wiki under "Addons and Helpers" so we can have a place where we can send folks to get it when they ask and have a simple "manual" for its use.

P.S. let me know if you want the actual plugin hosted on DevArt or Customize.org, at some other file hosting site you use, or if needed I can host it on the Wiki server. Just think it would be best to have it somewhere where you can update it if needed, and leaving it as an "attachment" on the forums probably isn't the best way to do it.