It is currently April 20th, 2024, 11:51 am

New Wifi Status Plugin

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
nvme
Developer

New Wifi Status Plugin

Post by nvme »

Check this page for updated versions of this plugin. A test skin is included with this RARchive:
Stable Releases:

Source Code:

Also here is a short usage guide

---
The plugin has now been successfully tested for ALL versions of windows, 64+32 bit. If you find any bugs please report them in this thread.

If you have Windows XP SP2, you need to either upgrade to SP3 or install the following hotfix for this plugin to work:
KB918997 ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=52A43BAB-DC4E-413F-AC71-158EFD1ADA50&displaylang=en )
---
You can set up a measure like so:

Code: Select all

[MeasureWifi]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\WifiStatus.dll
WifiInfoType=____________
WifiIntfID=Y
WifiListStyle=Z
The WifiIntfID setting should be kept at 0 ("WifiIntfID=0") unless you have more than 1 wireless interface adapter (this may / may not include bluetooth/infra red receivers). If you do not get any response from the measure with this value at 0, then try other values starting from 1, then 2 and so on

The WifiListStyle allows you to control what information appears along with the names of all visible networks (returned when WifiInfoType=LIST, see below). This value should be either 0, 1, 2 or 3. This is how the list will show up based on these values:
0: SSID.
1: SSID @band
2: SSID (Encryption:Authentication)
3: SSID @band (Encryption:Authentication)

You can use WifiListLimit to specify how many networks you want to see in the list. Note: The list is sorted in descending order based on the signal quality of each network (i.e. strongest first, weakest last). Valid values are 0 - 2,147,483,648 :)

The WifiInfoType setting allows you to choose between different measures.
Currently the following measures are supported:

SSID (broadcast name for your current connection. If you are still trying to connect, you may see a 'connecting...' or 'authorizing...' next to the name, but only if your update speed is around 2 seconds)

QUALITY (this is a percentage value of the maximum dBm signal strength for your current connection)

ENCRYPTION (the cipher algorithm being used for your current connection. Possible values are: NONE, WEP40, TKIP, AES, WEP104, WPA_GROUP, WEP, ???(unknown) )

AUTH ( the authentication algorithm being used for your current connection. Possible values are: Open, Shared, WPA_NONE, WPA_Enterprise, WPA_Personal, WPA2_Enterprise, WPA2_Personal, ???)

PHY (this shows the supported bands for your connection (NOT your adapter). Possible values are 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, DSSS, FHSSS, IR-Band, ???)

LIST(this shows a list of all visible networks. The list is automatically separated by line-breaks '\n', so each network appears on a separate line. Also next to the network name you will also see its band, cipher, and authentication algorithms.)

Note: The PHY measure will not work properly for any windows XP user (SP2 or SP3). The feature is only supported in the API for Vista or newer systems. All networks will be reported as just 802.11g on XP systems.
--------------------------
Original Post
--------------------------
I was bored so I decided to work on this, turned out to be pretty easy work. So far i am able to obtain signal quality, SSID and encryption type.

I have tested this on WINXP SP2 + SP3. Can someone please try this on Vista and Win7 !

Here are the usage instructions:
Place the dll in your plugins folder and then create a measure like so :

[mWifi]
Measure=Plugin
WifiInfoType=[QUALITY][SSID][ENCRYPTION]
WifiInfoType can be either: QUALITY , SSID or ENCRYPTION.
Quality is your signal strength (percent from 0-100)
SSID is self explanatory (returns a string)
ENCRYPTION can have the following string output: NONE, WEP, WEP40, TKIP, CCMP, WEP104, WPA

Next Up: AUTH measure, which will give a string for the type of authentication (OPEN/SHARED/WPA)
Feel free to IM about questions / bugs
Last edited by nvme on October 3rd, 2009, 5:37 pm, edited 23 times in total.
sgtevmckay

Re: New Wifi Status Plugin

Post by sgtevmckay »

I just finished installing both Vista (32bit) and 7 (RC1 64bit), give me about a week and let me see what I can come up with. :D
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

Sounds good, meanwhile im going to work on adding the following features as well:

Measures:
Show connection authentication algorithm
List networks in range
Connection speed
Uptime

Bangs:
Repair connection
Refresh network list
Disconnect
Connect(to network in list)
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

Just compiled a new version(1.01), a few bug fixes and some more features added

-You can now measure the authentication algorithm using "WifiInfoType=AUTH"
-A list of visible networks can be accessed using "WifiInfoType=LIST" (this will return a list with a line break between each network ssid!)
-You can chose from multiple wireless adapters using "WifiIntfID=". If you give an invalid ID the measure will default to 0.

Here is a sample config and how it will look:

[mWifi1]
Measure=Plugin
WifiInfoType=SSID
WifiIntfID=0
[mWifi2]
Measure=Plugin
WifiInfoType=QUALITY
WifiIntfID=0
[mWifi3]
Measure=Plugin
WifiInfoType=ENCRYPTION
WifiIntfID=0
[mWifi4]
Measure=Plugin
WifiInfoType=AUTH
WifiIntfID=0
[mWifi5]
Measure=Plugin
WifiInfoType=LIST
WifiIntfID=0

[wifi1]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=mWifi1
MeasureName2=mWifi2
X=15
Y=40
W=1000
FontColor=255,255,255
StringStyle=BOLD
FontSize=8
StringAlign=LEFT
FontFace=Tahoma
Text="%2 @ %1"
AntiAlias=1
[wifi2]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=mWifi3
MeasureName2=mWifi4
X=0r
Y=20r
W=1000
FontColor=255,255,255
StringStyle=BOLD
FontSize=8
StringAlign=LEFT
FontFace=Tahoma
Text="%1 + %2"
AntiAlias=1
[wifi3]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=mWifi5
X=0r
Y=20r
W=1000
FontColor=255,255,255
StringStyle=BOLD
FontSize=8
StringAlign=LEFT
FontFace=Tahoma
Text="%1"
AntiAlias=1
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Something to consider.

I am seeing the 802.11, but no Standard (ie, B/G/N)

Also I am seeing a percentage, but not a bandwidth marker.

56/100/ what ever "N" is.

Some stuff to keep in mind

Great work, I will try and catch up to you this weekend :roll:
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Also: is there a possibility to measure I/O, or will we have to look into like sysinfo for that information?
Assuming that the I/O can be done.

Edit;

Stupid questions, Skip it :oops:
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

I am looking into reading network speed(56/100 etc..). I know the API supports reading the Standard(B/G/N), but i didn't add it because i couldn't understand the crazy enums they use. As for I/O, do you mean the current rate of download / upload, i remember seeing this somewhere too, but i think its best to just use sysinfo for that.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Agreed.

I am going to put a halt on the Weather skin I have been hammering away at and start here.

I have a couple of hours, now, before my next contract, so I am going to start splicing it into HUD Vision Wireless skin

First I have to fing my old HUD back up as Mepu no longer supports this plugin, hmmm.......let me see what I can do :D
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Hit a snafu here.

Apparently the plugin may be compiled for XP only and in 32 bit.

I am getting the can not find plugin errors, in my Vusta (32bit)

Unfortunately I do not know how to compile from source code, so I am at a standstill at the moment :(

UPDATE:

Just tried to get this to run in 7 RC1; No joy, same issue.
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

edit: @sgt In the error from that screenshot the directory given seems incorrect, why does it say Rainmeter\Plugins\Plugins\WifiStatus.dll ?

hmm thats really odd, it should definitely work just fine for any 32bit release that is SP2+. Maybe i should try and compile this under Vista ? Although I doubt that will change anything considering the libraries installed should always be the same no matter what OS. Until then can someone else with Vista 32bit confirm that they are also getting this error please.