Post by Airyn_Reine »

I'm currently using, with 30 second rotation,

[MeasureNotes]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\QuotePlugin.dll
PathName=C:\Users\******\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Mine\Quotes.txt
Disabled=0
Separator=[]

to pull text quotes to display on desktop... this is all of the implementation I'm aware of. The file currently has about 2600 quotes, but the plugin only seems to pull from the first couple hundred, leaving the latter 2/3 (best guess) untouched...

Does quoteplugin have a text limit, or if not, what can I add to fix this?
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Quoteplugin.dll pull limit

Post by Alex2539 »

There is a hard limit to the number of characters in a file that QuotePlugin will read. To get around it, you can split the file in two, then add another quote measure for the new file. Then use a Calc to randomly show one or the other.
ImageImageImageImage
Airyn_Reine

Post by Airyn_Reine »

any idea what that limit is so i can adjust accordingly?
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

I honestly don't know offhand. It's pretty large though. If you're worried that splitting the file in half won't be enough, just split it into thirds or quarters to be sure.
ImageImageImageImage
Airyn_Reine

Post by Airyn_Reine »

Ok... I know it's been a while, but I decided to give this another shot and do as you suggested, with separate files using a calc function to display them individually... but for the life of me I can't figure it out (it's been six months sure, but I've only been working on this for the past 3 days)

snippets of my code, imagine the basics are there

+++++++++++++++
[Random]
Measure=Calc
Formula=RANDOM
Lowbound=1
Highbound=8
UpdateRandom=1

[1]
;repeat this for 2-8, each with repective changes to name/path
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins/QuotePlugin.dll
Pathname=1
Disabled=0
Separator=[]

[Notes]
Meter=String
MeasureName=
X
Y
W
H
etc etc etc

+++++++++++++++

As I've said, 3 days fiddling with this, and I just don't know how to make MeasureName in [Notes] pull up the Random numbered Measure...
I've tried MeasureName=[Random], even assigning Random to a variable and calling it in MeasureName, but to no avail, and many other tricks I thought would work but haven't.

Any ideas?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

This is a perfect problem to solve with the new Lua scripting capabilities of Rainmeter. It can deal with a file that is pretty much as big as your hard drive will hold, and can easily pick a random line from the file and send it back to a meter in Rainmeter. Can you zip up and host your quotes.txt file somewhere and put a link here so I have it to test with? I can knock something out for you to play with.
Airyn_Reine

Post by Airyn_Reine »

unfortunately no, I'm writing this from a secured computer, and downloading/uploading are strictly forbidden... I'm surprised enough i can even access this forum from here. Soonest i could would be about 3 months from now, when i get back home...

I was unaware of new scripting additions, I'll have to reread the guide I printed out. I'll figure it out and post it as soon as i can, provided you want a random display of bash.org, Simpsons, and Chuck Norris text. 2,668 quotes.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Airyn_Reine wrote:unfortunately no, I'm writing this from a secured computer, and downloading/uploading are strictly forbidden... I'm surprised enough i can even access this forum from here. Soonest i could would be about 3 months from now, when i get back home...

I was unaware of new scripting additions, I'll have to reread the guide I printed out. I'll figure it out and post it as soon as i can, provided you want a random display of bash.org, Simpsons, and Chuck Norris text. 2,668 quotes.
Not a problem. I will do something with a file I made up by copying a pithy quotes file over and over until I had over 10,000 lines in it. It works fine and I should have something for you to play with using your file in a bit.

Can you just copy and past the first 100 or so lines from your file here so I can confirm the format?

Edit: But wait... Are you going to be able to get a recent beta of Rainmeter and install it before you get home from your stay on the International Space Station? The Lua stuff requires a recent (r698 or better) beta of Rainmeter.

;-)
Airyn_Reine

Post by Airyn_Reine »

hehe.. not on a space ship, on a carrier :P
Everything I wrote in previous posts was copied by paper/pen from my laptop, that's why i said snippets. Which also means that anything you develop to help me out will have to be printed and then re-typed. I'm not against the typing, and I appreciate the help, but given the amount of coding you're suggesting, it's not very feasible for me. Luckily tho, I am running b698, picked that up before we left base a couple weeks ago.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Airyn_Reine wrote:hehe.. not on a space ship, on a carrier :P
Everything I wrote in previous posts was copied by paper/pen from my laptop, that's why i said snippets. Which also means that anything you develop to help me out will have to be printed and then re-typed. I'm not against the typing, and I appreciate the help, but given the amount of coding you're suggesting, it's not very feasible for me. Luckily tho, I am running b698, picked that up before we left base a couple weeks ago.
It's actually not a lot of code at all. The only thing I am concerned about is the delimiter of "[]" you had in a previous post.

Can you type in just one or two lines from the quotes file so I can see how it is laid out?