It is currently April 30th, 2024, 9:35 pm

New here and have a few questions

Introduce yourself to the Rainmeter community!
redteam2

New here and have a few questions

Post by redteam2 »

Just learned about Rainmeter and I am excited to start customizing my desktop. I just have a quick question about how secure my username and password inside of the gmail applications on some rainmeters skins.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: New here and have a few questions

Post by jsmorley »

redteam2 wrote:Just learned about Rainmeter and I am excited to start customizing my desktop. I just have a quick question about how secure my username and password inside of the gmail applications on some rainmeters skins.
Welcome!

If your computer is not in a place where you trust people with your GMail password, or if you don't logout or CTRL-ALT-DEL and lock your system when you leave it, do not use a GMail skin. Your password is in plan text in a .ini or .inc file on the computer, and while folks would need to know to look for it, it is most certainly not secure.
redteam2

Post by redteam2 »

Thanks jsmorley for such a quick response. I will try and think up a way on how to get my mail to update on my desktop without compromising my security of my email.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

If you are using Rainmeter at work or if you don't trust those living with you, I would suggest that. If your IT security guys found out you were using an app that not only has your id and password in a plain text file, but also sends that password as plain text on a URL=ID:PASSWORD@gmail.com "GET" string over the network, you might be marched out of the place carrying your cardboard box of personal effects and your Swingline stapler.

;-)