It is currently April 26th, 2024, 2:38 pm

Chameleon Calendar

Clocks and timer skins
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Chameleon Calendar

Post by Alex2539 »

The Chameleon Calendar is a calendar skin for Rainmeter designed to be highly customizable. By modifying the "settings.inc" file, the Chameleon Calendar can fit into any desktop theme! All of the calendars shown in the screenshot were created just by modifying the settings.

You can change:
  • The language used
  • The way the date is highlighted (6 different ways that can be mixed and matched!)
  • The font face, color, size, style and alignment
  • The background color
  • The size of each cell
  • The spacing between cells
  • Whether or not the name of the month appears
  • Whether the week starts on Monday or Sunday
  • ...And more!
All of this just by editing some words in a simple text file. No confusing code, no mucking about in .ini files, just the settings.

Comments and suggestions for new features are welcome. If you believe something is missing, mention it here. If it's feasible, I just might add it to the next version.

Current version: 1.16
Changes:
Changes in version 1.1
  • Middle-clicking the calendar will now open "settings.inc" in the default editor.
  • Margins can now be set on every side of the calendar.
  • Along with changing the font color of the highlighted day, you can now also change the font size and string style.
  • All of the spacing between elements, including the new margins, can now be colored.
  • The background, the margins, the highlight square and all of the gaps between elements can now optionally display an image.
  • The update rate was slowed to once per second instead of twice per second to lower CPU usage. However, this means the calendar will load somewhat slower. It can be changed back by modifying the line "Update=1000" in the [Rainmeter] section of calendar.ini.
  • A backup set of default settings are now included. To restore the settings to the default, simply delete "settings.inc" and then copy and rename "settings.inc.default" to "settings.inc".
Changes in version 1.15
  • Added highlight effects for the current weekday. They function exactly like the current highlight effects, minus row/column highlighting. Also fixed some typos and inconsistencies.
Changes in version 1.16
  • A bug where the days would be shifted if MondayIsFirst=1 and a left margin was set has been fixed Thanks to Chewtoy for it pointing out
  • Some other minor bug fixes.
ImageImageImageImage
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Chameleon Calendar

Post by jsmorley »

Very nicely done. Just a few changes to very obvious and easy to understand places in the .inc file and I got this, which works nice for me...
6-21-2010 5-06-46 AM.png
I would probably add only two things:

1) Have left/middle/right/double click somewhere that can't be set to ,0 (maybe a SolidColor=0,0,0,1 in [Rainmeter]) open the settings file in the user's associated editor. You can parse Rainmeter.ini for ConfigEditor or just execute the settings.inc file and let Windows handle the association I guess.

Adding this to [Rainmeter] worked for me.

SolidColor=0,0,0,1
LeftMouseDoubleClickAction=!Execute ["C:\Program Files\Notepad++\Notepad++.exe" "#CURRENTPATH#settings.inc"]

It sort of interferes with the single click already on the month back/forth meters (as it does both), but I like double click for actions and I just click anywhere else on the skin. It could be middle click or something else by default I guess. The fact that DoubleClick is kind of broken in that Rainmeter sees the double click and two single clicks when you do it is a discussion for another day in another topic...

2) Have a backup copy of settings.inc ship with the skin as settings.sav or something. Just so folks can get back to some setting they mess up without having to re-install and start over. Don't use .bak as many text editors default to saving a copy of what you are editing as name.bak.

P.S. It's a good thing this is 100% .inc driven. I'd hate to edit that .ini file. ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thrive

Post by Thrive »

Thanks. I really like your calendar.
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

Thanks I'm glad you like it. After receiving a few suggestions, the calendar has been updated to include a few new features. Mostly, they are more colour options, image support and the addition of margins.
ImageImageImageImage
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Any chance we can have DayOfWeekLabel and TodayNumber share highlight settings? I'd like We and 23 to be brighter in this setup... ;-)
6-23-2010 8-44-07 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

Done. The weekdays won't duplicate the highlight settings though, you will need to set their highlight settings separately.

Just an FYI - While the Enigma calendar was easy to duplicate, It should now be possible to duplicate the Gnometer calendar (minus the time and date at the top). Pretend Points if someone does it ;).
ImageImageImageImage
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Alex2539 wrote:Pretend Points if someone does it ;).

Original on left, Chameleon on left (with "excess" code stripped off). Next up Gnometer.
Alex2539 wrote:Done. The weekdays won't duplicate the highlight settings though, you will need to set their highlight settings separately.
Damn it, now I need to look at the diffs to see what you added.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yeah, upgrading is a bit manual, but I don't want to discourage Alex from tweaking this.. ;-)

Think I will knock out a quick AutoIt that merges by putting back values from the old .inc into the new one.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Perfect... Thanks Alex!

I have this set to "Click Through" and "On Desktop" and it works nice as a dynamic background. Maybe a "tad" CPU heavy this big... ;-)
6-24-2010 8-21-16 AM.jpg
Edit: Changed the Update to 10000 (every 2 minutes more or less) since I am not "interacting" with the skin, and that brought the CPU usage down to almost nothing.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

jsmorley wrote:Think I will knock out a quick AutoIt that merges by putting back values from the old .inc into the new one.
Alex, you could add the following to Rainstaller.cfg to keep settings on upgrade and make life easy for us (it basically reads entries from new settings.inc, and replaces it with values from old settings.inc if corresponding entry is available):

Code: Select all

KeepVar=Chameleon\settings.inc