It is currently September 7th, 2024, 6:03 pm

Looking for shortcuts organizer skin. Any Suggestions?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
CyberScribe

Looking for shortcuts organizer skin. Any Suggestions?

Post by CyberScribe »

So I'm new to rainmeter, but I heard it can be used for desktop organization with the right skin. But, I am struggling to find the right one for me.

I want a skin that allows me to press a button the desktop, which will expand into a container of various shortcuts, like normal file explorer but without having to open a window, instead acting like a dropdown menu or something.

Anyone know where I could find any skins like that? Or really any good desktop organizer skins?

Also, was wondering if I could install multiple different skins and just unload and reload any that I want whenever I want, rather than having to delete skins each time I want to use a different one.

Thanks!
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Looking for shortcuts organizer skin. Any Suggestions?

Post by Yincognito »

A starting point:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewforum.php?f=139
Alternatively, you could search on DeviantArt for Rainmeter docks and launcher skins.

Yes, you can install multiple skins and unload / reload / load any of them at will via their context menu, but typically skins don't have an "uninstall" feature that deletes them like a software package would, so you'll have to do that part manually, by deleting their folders. If you don't want to do it multiple times, you could try as many as you want, settle on whichever you like, then delete the rest in one action.

References:
- https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/getting-started/using-rainmeter/
- https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/skins/
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

CyberScribe wrote: July 24th, 2024, 1:37 am So I'm new to rainmeter, but I heard it can be used for desktop organization with the right skin. But, I am struggling to find the right one for me.
Besides Yincognito's reply, you could start by trying out the Launcher skin of my Mirage suite (don't ask, this definitely is a self promotion). Recommend version 1.3. This skin has three tabs, one for the installed programs, one for websites and the third for the skins of the suite. Even if the skin comes with some pre-defined icons, you can easily set up the elements of the first two tabs, through the Settings skin (which opens if you click the gear showing up when you're hovering the mouse over the skin).
Unfortunately there are some skins of this package which doesn't work anymore (Weather, for instance). Theoretically I rewrote them and added few new features, but unfortunately have no enough time for testing all elements, so don't release it for now.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

CyberScribe wrote: July 24th, 2024, 1:37 am So I'm new to rainmeter, but I heard it can be used for desktop organization with the right skin. But, I am struggling to find the right one for me.

I want a skin that allows me to press a button the desktop, which will expand into a container of various shortcuts, like normal file explorer but without having to open a window, instead acting like a dropdown menu or something.

Anyone know where I could find any skins like that? Or really any good desktop organizer skins?

Also, was wondering if I could install multiple different skins and just unload and reload any that I want whenever I want, rather than having to delete skins each time I want to use a different one.

Thanks!
This isn't the answer you were looking for, but from your requirements you are asking for StarDock Fences. Works better than any skin will work. This was an easy recommendation up until recently, when they doubled the price and changed to a subscription model. Now it's a hard sell, I'm not sure it is worth the price they are asking ($10/year, or $30/lifetime).

As for your last question, Yes, that is how Rainmeter works. You never have to "delete" unless you want to permanently get rid of something. You just load or unload whatever skin you want, whenever you want.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...